Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my recently acquired 1973 Standard. The tires that came on it were really bad so I thought these would help. The color combination is starting to grow on me too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I like the wheels/rims, they do have a COMPETITIVE look, but the top, and color/material DON'T.

I bet the top painted like the body would make a world of difference, IMO.

Dale in Indy

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Wheels and tires make THE SINGLE BIGGEST impact on a car no matter what the rest of the body looks like.
That is why it is so important to choose what looks "right!" So far so good from what I can see from my house.:wave:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Man, I remember, you got a sweet deal on a nice original 73. Looks good to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Those wheels look great! What kind are they?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree, the color combo looks great. The top would look good in either black or the same color as the interior which it is. FWIW, I think a top matching the body color would be hard on the eyes.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My point is that the wheels do have a DEFINITE competitive look, and the TOP more of a BUSINESS man's appeal. Not to say that such won't attract lookers, because I'm sure it will, but IMO the TOP and WHEELS aren't a perfect match. I certainly don't know all, but that's how I see it.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wheels are the American Racing Torq Thrust D wrapped with T/A Radials. I am contemplating doing the vinyl top in black. I was trying a photoshop type program to check the effect the color change would have. If anyone here is good with that sort of thing feel free to post the result. Thanks for all the nice comments. Pat

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You can always do as I and others did as kids, and take a cheap paper photo copy, say 8 x 10 and using a BLACK felt marker color over the present top color. We used to take an eraser and RUB out things like, door handles, hood ornament, trunk, and side trim, of photos or car brochures, just to see how it would look. Dad used to stand and hold out his hand, raise his thumb from a closed fist, and then position his thumb so that with ONE closed eye he could block out certain things on a car to give it a custom look. I still find myself doing that when outside looking at a car of interest.

Just the arty way,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just a quick hatchet job, but maybe it will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
I prefer the brown roof with those wheels, but if you were to put Magnum's on it I think the black would look better. Either way, I am jealous of the rims as I am still with hubcaps.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I like it ether way. The wheels really help.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's your car and if you like it, please ignore detractors such as myself, but I'd trade those wheels for something a bit more in keeping the the cat's sporty-luxury image, say like a wire mesh style. I bet even 90's Crown Vic wheels with some wide blackwall tires would really look sharp on that car.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
"Looks" are always a matter of taste; but as other's have said, it's your car. IMHO; the 'Big Cats' look a little awkward with TT's on them.... if the car was a 429CJ car, I could "see" it better, especially if the spokes were polished as opposed to painted. (What can I say, Mitch's signature picture makes me drool a little!)
As far as alluding to some power under the hood; I'd look to something like the 17" 10-spoke Shelby wheels that Don has in his catalog. Those are very cool rims; and don't look "puffed up" like some of the other mfgr's that grow larger diameter versions of the classic 15's. The picture of them in the catalog shows that they look pretty doggone good; and I've seen in person a set of those wheels in 16" on the car that Bill B and his son put together for the son to drive. Between the polish job and twice as many spokes as a TT; they just exude "CLASSY Power".

One other choice that sticks out in my mind will probably invite some flames; but Imagonna put it out there..... I'm looking at putting bigger brakes up front on my '73 (once she's driveable again) as well as swapping out the rear drums for discs. The brakes I want to use ('94-'04 Mustang Cobra pieces) require 17" wheels for caliper clearance, and will require more backspace to keep the tires inside the fenders. Looking at the 2005 - 2008 Mustang "Premium V6" rims, which look like a different $helby-style wheel. Slightly different spoke design, and less "shiny".

I know, "factory discs and drums work just fine"; but a couple of years ago I changed out the brakes on a friend's '95 Ranger. 30 minutes to swap out the front pads and scuff up the rotors with a Scotchbrite pad on my cordless drill. 3 hours on the rear drums, part of which was spent staunching the blood from my broken nose. Yeah, brake-spring pliers snapped off at the pivot on the second wheel, had to switch to needlenose vice-grips; I was hunched over the brake assembly, vice-grips slipped on the very last spring, hands and vice-grips flew up into my face, and I looked like the loser in a bar fight.
I really don't want to work on drum brakes anymore.... take 'em off and 86 'em and don't look back. Plus, as I'm getting older, I'm seeing how many late-model cars are getting more "Performance Oriented"; while their younger drivers' skills are becoming LESS performance oriented! Bigger brakes will haul the old girl down to a stop more quickly, which is very good from the "Don't be the last car in an accident" standpoint. But 'bigger brakes' mean bigger wheels. Furthermore, comparatively there aren't that many really good tires being offered in 14" or 15" sizes anymore. You won't see me "pimpin' 24's" with rubber-bands for tires, but I could do 17's in the desire for better brakes and rubber.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
"Looks" are always a matter of taste; but as other's have said, it's your car. IMHO; the 'Big Cats' look a little awkward with TT's on them.... if the car was a 429CJ car, I could "see" it better, especially if the spokes were polished as opposed to painted. (What can I say, Mitch's signature picture makes me drool a little!)
As far as alluding to some power under the hood; I'd look to something like the 17" 10-spoke Shelby wheels that Don has in his catalog. Those are very cool rims; and don't look "puffed up" like some of the other mfgr's that grow larger diameter versions of the classic 15's. The picture of them in the catalog shows that they look pretty doggone good; and I've seen in person a set of those wheels in 16" on the car that Bill B and his son put together for the son to drive. Between the polish job and twice as many spokes as a TT; they just exude "CLASSY Power".

One other choice that sticks out in my mind will probably invite some flames; but Imagonna put it out there..... I'm looking at putting bigger brakes up front on my '73 (once she's driveable again) as well as swapping out the rear drums for discs. The brakes I want to use ('94-'04 Mustang Cobra pieces) require 17" wheels for caliper clearance, and will require more backspace to keep the tires inside the fenders. Looking at the 2005 - 2008 Mustang "Premium V6" rims, which look like a different $helby-style wheel. Slightly different spoke design, and less "shiny".

I know, "factory discs and drums work just fine"; but a couple of years ago I changed out the brakes on a friend's '95 Ranger. 30 minutes to swap out the front pads and scuff up the rotors with a Scotchbrite pad on my cordless drill. 3 hours on the rear drums, part of which was spent staunching the blood from my broken nose. Yeah, brake-spring pliers snapped off at the pivot on the second wheel, had to switch to needlenose vice-grips; I was hunched over the brake assembly, vice-grips slipped on the very last spring, hands and vice-grips flew up into my face, and I looked like the loser in a bar fight.
I really don't want to work on drum brakes anymore.... take 'em off and 86 'em and don't look back. Plus, as I'm getting older, I'm seeing how many late-model cars are getting more "Performance Oriented"; while their younger drivers' skills are becoming LESS performance oriented! Bigger brakes will haul the old girl down to a stop more quickly, which is very good from the "Don't be the last car in an accident" standpoint. But 'bigger brakes' mean bigger wheels. Furthermore, comparatively there aren't that many really good tires being offered in 14" or 15" sizes anymore. You won't see me "pimpin' 24's" with rubber-bands for tires, but I could do 17's in the desire for better brakes and rubber.

Amen - nothing like decent brakes and big wheels to transform a classic Cougar

1 - 20 of 23 Posts