Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably will get lots of boos but here goes. Glass hood with vents and a Eleanor scoop molded on backwards so I could get enough hood clearance, not to mention a valuable lesson in aerodynamics last time the car was out, that cool Eliminator scoop tried to rip the hood off the car at 140 mph. So still have to open the vents and will slot the back of the scoop to get even more air out, next up AIR DAMN!...
go ahead and let the bashing begin.... 028.jpg 029.jpg 030.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
That hood is the shizzle!!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Wait til they see what I want to do....

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Won't the side vents be enough to get air out. You might end up sucking air in through those back vents as it is the low pressure area at the base of the windscreen

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any video but the scoop never actually left the car, it just tried. When I was transitioning from the steel to the glass hood I had this bright idea to cut the inner support out of the old hood, use some aluminum hinges like Nascar does and just pin it in the front. A whole lot lighter. Well at about 80 mph the hood started to bow up in the middle and the rear and at 130-140 the scoop and rear of the hood bowed up about 6 inches and the airload caved in the left front corner of the hood, lol. I tried it with the glass hood, not as drastic but the same effect. So then I added the zues fastners to hold it down which worked.
I hadn't completely made up my mind on the vents in the back of the scoop, just thinking of how much air gets caught up under the hood right in that area. We'll see...
Oh yeah and many thanks to Maier Racing in Hayward for doing the glasswork and putting up with my wife and I laying every scoop they had out on the floor and figuring out which one would work the best (me) and which one would be the best looking (wife)..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
347 small block, Dart Iron Eagle block big bore block, steel crank, H beams, Diamond pistons, fully ported Vic Jr's and Parker, solid roller. Being built by FE Specialties in Sacramento....initial estimates are 585 hp at 6900 rpm. Should be rock solid and make nice power and torque....already jumped off the bridge and picked up a Jerico with internal pump, all Quartermaster flywheel, 7.25 inch clutch, bellhousing and starter from Roush Yates.
Going to run a cambered rearend so more parts on the for sale pile! Anybody need an Eliminator scoop or Moser 9 inch housing with axles?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Fugly hood there. Put it in a box ...... and send it to me. There is a theme with me on that huh?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'm torn on it. But, maybe it's just the distaste I've developed for all the "me too" eleanor stuff out there over the last few years.
The hood works, from a functional point of view. That's what matters. And, it ain't so bad looking once I clear my head of what I've seen at shows and tracks in the recent past (middle aged guys standing beside their "me too" cars as if they actually did something unique).

Dang. I'm turning into a curmudgeon. This is supposed to be fun.

Cool hood. Paint it and get it on there so you can get back on the track.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Tape up all the openings on the front end, just enough for the engine cooling.
A la "NASCAR"

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the tough thing about the Cougar's, the front of mine has a fabbed mesh grill as the original grill is gone. Just a huge 5 foot wide flat spot pushing air. Between the oversized radiator, the oil cooler, brake ducts and bead cooler duct there's nothing left to tape off. I really will need to do an air damn on the front and a wing of some sort on the back. Keep the air out from under the car, vent the hood and make some downforce on the front and rear. Game on!
Even though the hood is Fugly and has the Eleanor thing going on, it's going to improve things aero wise. I really considered a cowl hood but if you think the hood now is ugly, should've seen the 3 inch cowl on there. Yuk.
Has anyone ever tried to bolt on a Mustang R model valance to the front of a Cougar? Just trying to get some ideas on what to do about front air damn???

·
Registered
735 Posts
It's hard to tell exactly what is going on in these pics, but it looks like Bud Moore fabricated an R Model type from valence and spoiler for his Baby Grand Cougars. I like the way it goes into the bottom of the bumper.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts