Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHAHHA ok so heres my situation, tolerable, but more than likely not safe. I smell gas, not leaking from anywhere under the hood, I checked EVERYTHING. Here is my guess, so my gauge reads 1/4 tank when it starts to sputter at lights like its low, so I know my tank is full of garbage, and when I put about 30 bucks in her, it'll read 3/4 full, thing is anymore than that and you'll see gas spilling out from the rear valance, like overfilled, so I try to keep a close eye on it. Also whenever I fill it with say 28 bucks and get no spill, start driving and get to work down the road and stop, get out and notice, ITS DRIPPING OUT THE REAR VALANCE! AAAHHHHHH!! The smell definitely will gimme a headache by the end of the day ahaha. So im guessing maybe a seal is bad? Any ideas

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bad gas cap or rubber tube which connects tank to filler nozzle.

·
Registered
389 Posts
as simple as the gas tank is to remove in these cars, i can't see driving around knowing the tank was full of stuff.... and espeically now knowing it might be leaking.... its super simple, on my car it took all of 5 minutes to pull the tank. get some tips via google or otherwise on cleaning it out and what to use, and go at it. much easier to see pin holes leaking fluid with cleaner than flamable gasoline. really, all you have to leak is the tank it self, the rubber tube that connects the filler to the top of the tank, and the gaskets for the sending unit. but since u are leaking at the back, id venture to say the rubber tube or rust pin holes along that back edge. and the even better news is new tanks on ebay are dirt cheap...probally cheaper than taking one to get it cleaned even....

·
Registered
980 Posts
What Barney said, get a new one...maybe all of a couple hours to change it, if you know it has debris in it you'll be chasing that dog forever. Plus, exhaust exits that end of the car, not a good thing to have that going on back there. What year is your Cougar?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Top of the tank may have a rust through hole in the top if 1971-73 tank.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a simple temporary fix? Epoxy? Sealer? I have a feeling it may be small rust at the top, seeing how the trunk has the same

·
Registered
669 Posts
Gas tanks can be cleaned and repaired. Just check with your local radiator shop. They ususally do that kind of stuff.

·
11,000 Posts
It is usually cheaper to buy a new tank. They cost less than $100 bucks around here.

Gas tanks can be cleaned and repaired. Just check with your local radiator shop. They ususally do that kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Are there any aftermarket tanks made here in the US for our cars? Rather than from Kachinkastan.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Nevermind sorry I see the Scott Drake tanks are US made. While we are on the subject anyone use one? How'd ya like it?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nevermind sorry I see the Scott Drake tanks are US made. While we are on the subject anyone use one? How'd ya like it?
I have one in my 69, no problems whatsoever with fit or function.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
To be clear, the tank is/was a Spectra Premium which I believe is Canadian made.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Is the metal thickness comparable to the originals?
Much thicker, if you consider the effects of 40 years of rust. Actually they seem to be exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I put the stainless fuel tank, part number FT65 from Mustangs Unlimited, for the 67 with a drain plug in my car, and I am very pleased with it. My car sits while I am gone for work, so its one less thing to worry about when I get back home.

I also put the MTS Polyethylene tank from JC Whitney into my 77 F150 4X4 for the same reason. That thing is great. No more rust in either vehicle's fuel filter or fuel bowls.

You can see the tank in the Cougar here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_rLuMPdQS8

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts