Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we got the new one home. first things first, find out if the 351w in it is any good. So we started hooking wires that are needed to fire it. that required fixing a handful of shorts. ok power everywhere!

Next, it came with no valve covers, dist, carb, or exh manifolds. so i found a set of 69 correct manifolds and valve covers for $20, SCORE! Carb for $20 SCORE! Bolted exh and v/covers on after cleaning the dust and crud from the top of the heads so its not ending up in the motor, cleaned up the carb up and made gaskets, and my 13 year old hand made the carb gaskets with a small ball peen, he's very proud :jump3: now shes ready to fire. Oh wait, NO, stop and pressure wash the motor, harness, everything so I can see what Im looking at, what color wires are, and get it all clean so its easier to work with.

Changed fuel lines, ran a line into a can hoping the diaphragm in the pump is still good, filled up with oil and waiting for the wife to get back with the right plugs. they gave me the huge plugs, i assumed it was wrong and went back for peanut plugs, WRONG, back we go. as soon as she gets here i can install them and make some noise :evil:

Heres how far I got last night and stopped at 11pm :icon16: Will hopefully have a video of it running today.

View attachment 24617

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so got everything online, and NATURALLY the previous owner had the dist. 180 out + 1 tooth :uhoh: Got that fixed and the old fuel pump primed, the carb float to stop sticking and overflowing and a little ether and some serious voltage and
VRAAAAWOP-TUT TA TA TUT TUH TA TUT TA

Ahhhh the sound of a fat cam :evil:

Now we can start this build for real, Im so happy shes the rockin runner we were told she was :evil:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Are you supposed to make them any other way? ;>) I smell progress.....congrats. Did you have any specs on the thing or just winging it? Hopefully they gave you something to work with.....

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
A 1969 351W will have 3 bolts on the crankshaft pulley, 4 bolts is 1970 and later.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so my son (ya he rocks) crawled under and started wire brushing and found the code. Its a 1968 351-w from a 68/69 Fairlane, the rare one that was only produced for 2 years, 68/69.

It came with a taller deck, longer stroke, larger cam, larger journals, larger caps, larger oil pump, larger galleys, and slightly different heads. Ford spec says this motor weighs in dry 25 lbs more than all other other 351w's.

I'm liking it :D

If anyone else needs to decode their engine let me know i have the tool for it now :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts