Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my venture into the land of Cougars got it's start this week. The car made it to the house...now the work begins. Here's some pictures after I cleaned it up a bit...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Nice! How old are those tires?

Looks like an 8000 rpm tach too.

Did someone change the radiator core support at some time in it's life?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Is the paint as nice as it looks? Looks like it was just done and it looks gorgeous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The paint is nice, it was done a few years back but the car has just sat since then. The radiator support has not been changed, this car is an original sheetmetal California car with just 16,000 miles. I too thought this car would look good with the Black Boss 9, that was one reason for buying it. Thanks for the thoughts, I will try to keep an updated post as prgress continues.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Looks like she's missing the 3rd pedal. Nice lot of goodies to play with. I collected the 70 428 4sp parts did the conversion, lots of fun it was, but worth every bit of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3rd pedal is there, it's on the floor because there's no drivetrain in the car, look just left of the parking brake release, it doesn't have the pad and trim on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a Marti, what is it you'd like to know? They don't give you a paint code for a special order paint. i don't have the expensive Marti with all of the statistics. Here's the options:

Special Order Paint
4.30 Locking Axle
4-speed close ratio
Evaporative Emmisions
Eliminator Package
428 SCJ
Drag Pak
Ram Air
Console
Courtesy Lights
Power Front Disc Brakes
AM/FM radio
Tinted Glass complete

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
That brings back some memories for me. My first Cougar was a black 70 Eliminator! Nice car with lots of potential there.

PS Holy moly! I just read your Marti. EXACTLY like the one I had!! Not sure about the am/fm though. Memory is foggy about that.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Love this car, glad to see a special car saved n once will be terrorizing the streets once again.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Was yours Black Art? Would be cool if this was yours!! Either way it's an awesome car! Even has the passenger mirror (was that optional on a 70?)

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The paint is nice, it was done a few years back but the car has just sat since then. The radiator support has not been changed, this car is an original sheetmetal California car with just 16,000 miles. I too thought this car would look good with the Black Boss 9, that was one reason for buying it. Thanks for the thoughts, I will try to keep an updated post as prgress continues.
Reason that I asked was that I don't see the cutouts on top, and the one horn is mounted where the oil cooler goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I keep my eliminator, its going black with black stripes when the Cyclone is done (also black). Damn the purists...the black is just menacing. I've been wondering how it would look, you just sealed the deal for me.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Was yours Black Art? Would be cool if this was yours!! Either way it's an awesome car! Even has the passenger mirror (was that optional on a 70?)
Passenger mirror was standard on '70 Eliminators. Special paint cars were delivered without them though. Likewise, special paint cars came from the factory with a chrome driver's side mirror, rather than the body color sport mirror.
Was up to the dealer to install the correct mirrors for an Eliminator. This was inconsistently done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reason that I asked was that I don't see the cutouts on top, and the one horn is mounted where the oil cooler goes.
The cutout is there for the top oil cooler line, look just right of the horn. The horn was incorrectly put back on the car (I asked the same question), if you look to the right of the passenger side horn you will see the location where the second horn was previously hung (you can see where it was tightened down).

As for the mirror I'm not sure, the original door panel has the remote mirror control, etc. Would this be listed on the build sheet? I have a perfect build sheet.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
As for the mirror I'm not sure, the original door panel has the remote mirror control, etc. Would this be listed on the build sheet? I have a perfect build sheet.
I'm not sure where it would appear on the build sheet, although if it does show up, I'd be interested to see how its designated.
The window sticker/invoice on a special-paint '70 should have "Remote control L/H mirror substituted for color-keyed racing mirror" as a line item.

BTW, does your Marti Report happen to list the build date for this car?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts