Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got the beast back today. Even with the lowered compression, it's ALOT stronger than my windsor was...

Here's some pics of the installed setup (Though I still have to re-route the fuel lines and plug wires...)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Man that IS sweet! How 'bout a wave file or video of it running.
I love that sound:p: :D I need a cat I want to modify... maybe a 69 vert....Hmmmmmm

Logan: how the twins doing?

Don

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I can tell you it sounds absolutely badass. :)

I'll see what I can do about a wav file... Hmmm...Where's my darn microphone...

Little girls are doing just fine. :) Both have gained back their birth weight and are eating like little piggies. :D

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Looks awesome lets see a mpg of it going down the track would be nice also. glad to here the girls are doing well.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah... It'll be no time
'till they ask yo borrow the keys to that classic '03 Marauder:1poke: :D :D

Shannon already has her 18 year old eyes on Tiffany:rolleyes:

Don

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congrats on the Clevor, and welcome to the sound of music (canted valve Fords).

Yeah, a wav would be nice...at, say, 4500 rpm...

And those aussie heads...the sound of g'day and g'bye...:D

·
Registered
794 Posts
oooh, thats purdy. Arent you itching to see what et she runs.....
Are you gonna get a dyno run?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Awesome dude!! Congrats. What did you end up doing cam wise? Stick with what was in there?

We's gots to go to the track. I mean I'm just a little ol' windsor with highway gears... hee hee hee...

BD
:p:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's still got the RPM cam in there. I'll be pulling the motor out this winter to redo the engine bay. While it's out, I'll be beefing up the bottom end and swapping cams to something more suited to being badass.

·
Registered
433 Posts
So how difficult is this

Logan,

I was just curious. I have a 302 in my 68 and I am thinking of a head swap to drop compression. I want to go back to driving it every day but I can't afford the 93 octane. Anyway, I can pick up the heads for a song (351c 2v), but I know there is surely more to it than just bolting them on. I have seen intake adapters that let you use windsor intakes, but I'd hate to get rolling on this and realize I could have saved some cash. Yeah, I could just bold different windsor heads on it too, but your motor looks too cool. Anyhow, seeing as you've done it, what are some things I should be aware of?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wow, this thread is old. For a moment there I thought Logan bought his 69 Clevor cat back. The clevor swap idea does sound cool, I hope someone comes on here with the info you need.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Hey logan
question, the electric fan setup you got or should i say had.The brackets that came with it , did you end up using them on your radiator setup?If so can you tell me how they go cause i am trying to mount the 27 inch setup on the 3 core radiator like you did w/ your clevor car.And im confused on which way they go.I had the fan setup sittin in front of the radiator and man is it close i got like 1 inch clearance between the water pump pulley nad the fan setup.I had to trim down the rubber part of the trim so it sit back more.ANd have to relocate the battery to the trunk cause of the length of the shroud.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kirk, there's a tonne more to it than just bolting them on. Nevermind the custom intake, you need special head gaskets, pushrod's, rocker's, exhaust manifolds, etc etc etc... My advice?

Buy a set of windsor heads. You'll be alot happier in the long run.

droptop, I made my own mounting brackets, the one's they send are well, not very helpful. If you got 1" of clearance, you're doing good. I had about 1/8" of clearance! :)

On the shroud, I left my battery in the engine bay, I removed the water canister on the driver's side to make room instead for the 3" overhang, which I filled with a piece of painted sheet metal. It looked and worked good.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Wow

Logan actually posted on this site? I was beginning to think that he'd abandoned us!

j/k ;)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
YeAH We need to get him another CAT ... He is close to the dark side...J/K

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah, I figured there was much more to it or everyone would be doing it. Any reccomendations for boneyard heads. Currently I have the 65' 289 heads... I think they were 54cc combustion chambers before the heads were shaved and the block decked. It runs strong, but, 93 octane only makes it tough to drive daily. I was thinking stock 351 heads then when I get to a point a couple years from now that it becomes more of a toy I'd be ready for the blower. But would that make it too much of a dog?

·
11,000 Posts
You want to keep the compression. That is the beautiful thing about aluminum heads. They let you run more compression than a similar chamber in an iron head.

The '65 - 67 289 heads are the best boneyard head you can get.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts