Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill stick the camera into places my fat head wont fit. after looking at the pics i find what looks like a crack in the head. is this from over torqueing the fasteners?
DANG!

·
11,000 Posts
Whatever caused it, now you have to pull the head. Bummer!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no big deal. need a valve job anyway.
I have a set of 2v heads on the parts car with the stock exhausts,
I think this is a good excuse to pull all four heads.
(serentiy now, serentiy now)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I thought you were excited to have a 4v motor, now your going to put 2v heads on it????? That head can be fixed, no big deal. mm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like bolt used was too long and bottomed out. Easy fix when pulled off. Weld up and install thread insert.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at today after work and could not see a crack, so i wire brushed it and used a mirror to look again, still no crack. must have been a dang shadow from the camera angle.
4v heads wooohoooooooooooooo.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hell of a shadow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey Bowl,

I hope you are right about the shadow, but that shadow looks like it's got a rust ring around it.... A dead giveaway for a crack. It would be wise to pull the head, especially if you would like to freshen them up, and have them crack checked.

I had a small block head welded up, after the job was done it was staighter than the other one!! The slow heat-up-cool-down process that the good cast welders use stress relieves the iron.

I hope I'm not being negative here, I just hate to see a guy go through a bunch of work only to have to take it all apart again.... But I'M NOT BITTER ABOUT IT!!!! I think I had my C4 together and apart 4 times before I put the flarn thing back in the car... learned some lifelong valuable lessons on that one.

Ron.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Bowl take another picture now tht you have cleaned it up, sure looks like a crack to me, and specially with all that rust around it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Looks like a shadow from the pocket arounf the plug to me. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Bowl, is this the crack you are referring to?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
before cleaning it from a diff angle and no shadow

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cleaned

·
Registered
216 Posts
By crackie I think that was a shadow... It's hard to see the recessed flange condition on the first photo, looks just like a crack with a rust ring. You had just enough of an angle between the flash and the shutter that the flash caused the little shadow that looked like the crack... Just goes to show... Things are not always as they may first appear.

Ron.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Here's an image of it, in negative.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Now it looks like a crack in the negative. hummm, do you pull the head and check it out, or do you continue on with your day and drink another beer. :)

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
At least drink another beer while you're thinking about what to do:)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the head is good on my 351 and my Shiner Bock (best beer ever)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
they started selling kegs of Shiner in CA during my junior year in college ('98-'99) hee hee... I remember SOME of that year...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts