Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Looks to be a nice rust-free body. Amazing. Yet another Cougar with a trailer hitch!

'72 Standard isn't worth a lot, even restored, so go ahead and resto-mod it!

At least you're close to WCCC for parts! That fender is NOT toast - Just pound it out carefully and you'll be fine.

How's the interior? Mustang parts (door panels, seats) will interchange and will be easier to source than Cougar pieces.

Probably has 2.75 rear gears in the 9" rear...

Trans still there? If not, go AOD, baby!

For a driver, I'd drop in a carb-converted 96-2000 Explorer 5.0 with an AOD. Anything else, 351W (cheaper to build than Cleveland) or stroked Windsor /AOD... Of course, you'd have to upgrade the rear gearing to a 3.50 or so if you do an AOD conversion... Makes for a big improvement in git-up-and-go, yet will get better highway MPG with the o/d!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan is to do some investigation and cleanup then pass it on to a new home. Anybody looking for a project?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I wouldn't mind a rust-free '72, but WA state is too far for me at this time... Maybe when I move out to AZ in a couple of years... One of my parts cats is from Nevada, by way of Indiana... No rust-through (yet)...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Awwwww, Jeeze, Pat - now you're hurtin' me! Wife gives me the green light to spend money on the house, now I'm gonna go hat-in-hand, asking more about Cougar stuff? AAAARRRRGGHH!
That fender doesn't seem so bad.... how's the quarter on that side?
(My biggest "Awwww $%&^@#" on my Colorado '73)

I wouldn't mind a rust-free '72, but WA state is too far for me at this time... Maybe when I move out to AZ in a couple of years... One of my parts cats is from Nevada, by way of Indiana... No rust-through (yet)...
Great, now Milo's talking about moving here; with his three '73s. :uhoh:

Hang on a minute, how's the left quarter on that Nevada "parts" car, Milo?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts