Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Could someone direct me to the thread that links to another forum, where folks have rolled on some special paint for their cars? I don't want to go building a particle-free and oven-styled paint area. Anything I can do on the cheap but quality side... Thanks, Eric.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Eric,

How about some info and or pictures on your big project? A fellow ECI (me) is interested to see how you are making out.

Regards,

Bob

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update pics on 67 quarter panel replacement (taking it really, really slowly)

Bob, here are the few pics I have of the passenger side. I figured I'd start there, because the frame pieces at the front of the wells were solid. I'm planning to lap weld the quarter to the body, using the door jamb, wells, trunk drop-off, and rear panel that welds the quarter to the taillight panel.

I tried my best with the compressor cutoff wheel tool, but wasn't making a dent. I went back to my trusty 4 1/2" grinder, but was heating up the panel too much. So, I went to the sawsall with short blade. Other than the curved area around the back of the quarter window, the sawsall performed well. Not realizing how little overlap the flange tool provided, I'll have to re-cut the quarter on the car. I'm no body guy, so how do I mark to as-perfect-as-possible the line to cut on the car AND on the replacement quarter.

How do I most effectively cut the rocker panel off the replacement panel unit. I need to get at the weld spots, since the cut-up rocker panel needs to go. Also, was the original trunk drop-off to trunk floor one unit? I'd like to keep the drop-off that's part of the replacement full quarter.

I had so many parts in play, that I didn't want to weld anything at this time. There's the 4x4 beam keeping the trunk hinge in place. I did add an extra couple of thick brackets to the inside of the rear frame rails, because I thought that should be the strongest possible. Replacement front and rear torque boxes, plus full floors, and almost-complete rear seat floors should keep this puppy strong throughout the quarter replacements and several years to come. Eric.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Eric,

The best I can tell you is that when I did my quarter work, I figured out where I would make the join to the existing quarter, cut that on the new metal first and then, holding the new metal up to the old (and that line was WELL beyond the boundary's of the old) and traced a line on the old, following the new metal edge. Then, cut the old at "the flanger distance" down from the marks. That way, when I flanged, the new metal edge would fall within the flanges I created. Is this making sense?

The cutoff tool always worked fabulous for me, you have to go easy and let the tool/wheel do the work for you. Sure, I used plenty of them over the course of my odyssey, but still have a fistful of a HF economy pack left!

Let me just say that I am happy to assist you in this arduous effort in any way I can. Please let me know and ask away if you have further questions. I want you to succeed. This is not an easy road we choose to travel.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts