Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to test each light and fixture before I re-install them. Such as the overhead console or the side marker lights. I have a small AC DC 3amp power source I used to use for a radio. Could I simply hook two wires on this and touch the wires of what I want to test or would that possible damage something?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Harv,

This should be fine in most every case, the only case where it would be a problem would be if a power source or electronics was involved (and still connected) which feeds the light you are testing. I cannot off hand think of any light that fits this description but thought I should mention it just the same.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, figured if I did this it might save me from having to redo something down the road or maybe will help me with trouble shooting later. Most everything worked prior to taking stuff apart but stuff like the door lights I never saw, the wires were broke where it went from the door to the body. I had one overhead light also I think was burn out. Other than I think they were all working.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The more you test, the more you can have confidence that things will work as they should once installed!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Light bulbs are cheap. I replaced them all when I did mine. I also checked the circuits while wiring was accessible, using a multimeter set to continuity. What's 20 bucks gonna do to your budget?? Bob may be one cheap sum***** and use old bulbs... but I'd spring for new ones. Maybe you can sell your old ones to him...lol.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Light bulbs are cheap. I replaced them all when I did mine. I also checked the circuits while wiring was accessible, using a multimeter set to continuity. What's 20 bucks gonna do to your budget?? Bob may be one cheap sum***** and use old bulbs... but I'd spring for new ones. Maybe you can sell your old ones to him...lol.
Rob, how DARE you!!! :buck: I used ALL NEW bulbs throughout. I may be a cheap sum*****, but not on bulbs for crying out loud!

·
Registered
389 Posts
ya'll crack me up.

but as far as testing the sockets and such...assuming the bulbs are good haha, the bench testing should work fine.

I actually took an old PC power supply long ago and installed it into the upper cabinet over my work bench and have terminals and a pair of 12v outlets there so i can test anything and everyting. the powersupply has plenty of juice for lights and small things, not so much for a starter or anything of course, but i ran a 100 watt police siren and PA off of it when i sold it last week and it worked fine.

[/URL]

[/URL]

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a multi meter but I don't know how to use it? I know how to check for continuity and resistance but that is all. Time to learn. I just don't want to install something then find out later I have a problem with a bad ground or a bulb or a socket if I can find those issues now. Besides, money wise I won't be buying much for a while.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The cheapest and easiest way to test a bulb, I reckon, is to pull it out and touch its connection points directly to the terminals of a normal old 9v battery. If it's a bulb that runs off 12v, 9v is enough to light it up, it'll just be a little dimmer than normal. But that should tell you if it works or not. Of course that won't identify any problems with the socket it came from, but if you test a bulb while it's in the socket and it doesn't work, but then pull it out and a 9v lights it up, that can help you identify a messed up socket or a short in the associated wiring.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Barn,

Something did not work on your links/photos, looks like the URL tag is in there twice or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts