Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Well guys, Alpha Cat at last!

I guess Logan had to post the pic of Alpha Cat for me. Yes, that really is mine! I've been trying to post this for weeks but keep hitting the file size restriction wall.

Anyway, AlphaCat is my modified '73. I had replaced most of the 73 grillework with the horizontally broken 71-72 parts. Same for the taillights. Hoodscoop is a FoMoCo piece, but it must have come from a Comet GT since it has cast-in part numbers from everything from a 69 Cougar (C9WY) and 74 Comet (D4GY). Those tires and wheels are long gone -- they were on my first car hauling trailer when I sold it in '88 to finance construction of a second garage.

This picture was taken in my parent's driveway in 1984 after fixing the body. This is the $50 paint job I was telling you about. Yes, the body still looks like this, but... I dismantled the car to finish the 'restoration' of the under-the-skin items in May,1985. Front fender aprons, radiator core support, front and one rear floors, trunk drop-off repair, all new fuel and brake lines... Engine rebuilt, new torque convertor, new rear springs, all new front suspension... Unfortunately, the car still sits on six jackstands in the garage waiting for me to finish it. Now that mice have wreaked havok on the interior (just the headliner, thank goodness I had the seats in storage elsewhere)... It just never ends, does it? I still need to replace the rear fender aprons and then start detailing the underside before the reconstruction prcess can begin.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
In m younger days..I had two different 73's Both were forest green with the scum green vinytop, both had 351c/2v motors.
I loved those cats. But... houses and kidsmade me make some sacrifices...Hmmmmmmmmmm. Anyway.... the kids are grown,the house is halfway paid off and I have a 68 standard that I am in love with. Keep on Cattin' guy. you'll get there..

Don:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I was just testing the image upload function... Due to my own ineptitude, I broke it during the upgrade a few days ago... It's all fixed up now... :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Cougarcj, sounds like your going to have to spend some more time in the garage. Whatever the hood scoops from it looks right on the 73.mm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Hood scoop

MM,

The scoop is the same as any Eliminator, or they used that same scoop on '71 GTs which, of course, is the same as a 73. The interesting part about 71-73s is that the underhood reinforcements have the cutouts for the bolts on this scoop. What is really freaky is that it looks like it was also made to accept a shaker, more specifially the pointed-front shaker scoop from a 70-71 Torino. Too bad I got rid of the Torino shaker setup I had at one time.... Now that would have really been unique!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts