Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mark,
This car was for sale at Hershey in 1997 and at Spring Carlisle in '98. I talked to the guy that restored it and to the guy who bought it at Fall Hershey. It has the Sport Special rocker moldings. The five spoke charcoal wheels that were normally found on the '70 Eliminators were also installed on BFG T/A's. If I remember right the back tires were larger than the fronts. The air cleaner in the picture is not the one that was on the car when I saw it but I beleive it is the correct one. The one that was on was like a 390 GT chrome one with no snorkle. All in all it's a pretty nice car. Can't figure out why no one is hanging on to this car for very long. It has been in our local auto locators a few times in the last 2 years. Let me know if you have any more questions. I remember the car pretty well; will try to help. IMO this is probably a solid $16,000 car if it is still in the shape as when I saw it. Haven't checked the NADA prices lately but I know they keep going up.
Barry

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just went back and looked at pictures again. Still is the incorrect air cleaner. It just has a different sticker on it since I last saw the car.
Barry

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
YEP! YEP! WRONG AIR BREATHER

DON'T KNOW ABOUT $16,000 AS I HAVE SEEN THEM SELL FOR LESS IN GOOD CONDITION BUT EVENTUALLY THEY WILL COMMAND EVEN HIGHER PRICES. CORRECT AIR CLEANER IS FORD BLUE BASE WITH A RIBBED CHROME TOP AND A BLUE 69 390 SNORKEL AND HEAT RISER TUBE ON THE RT. SIDE. A STD. MERCURY/FORD 390 GT CHROME DRESS UP PKG. IS ALL THAT CAME ON THE "S" ENGINE CODE OPTION. STILL A NICE CAR THOUGH. HOPE A TRUE COUGAR FAN OF CLUB MEMBER BUY'S IT AND FIXES THE INCORECT ITEMS. I SOLD MY WHITE 390 ELIMINATOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. THE INDIVIDUAL THAT HAS IT IS GOING TO RESTORE IT. I WAS JUST TOO BUSY THEN AND NOW..

MERCURY LEADS THE WAY :angryfi:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
YEP! YEP! SORRY

Sorry. A bad habit. I must remember and i hope i didn't give anyone the impression that i was yelling. I only do that occasionally when i install something backwards and have to do it all over again. I will try to keep it quiet from now on.. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, the rear spoiler on both the'69 and '70's were body color. On the Cougar poster that comes up on e-bay alot there are 2 '69's and both of them have black hood scoops and rear spoilers. Looks allright but is incorrect. Know a guy that had a white '69 that had it painted correct only to see that poster and thought that was right. Took it back to the body shop and had both scoop and spoiler painted black only to find at the '97 Cougar Nationals that is was wrong.

Barry

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
on the 69s, yeah i know that they are supposed to be body color, but arent the 70s just black?? heard somewhere that Ford couldnt get the paint to stick very well to the plastic and fiberglass so they just basically said screw it and left them bare. maybe im wrong.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
YEP! YEP! BODY COLOR ONLY IS CORRECT

The cougarfan is correct. We must get it right Eliminator Fans; 69/70 Eliminator's hood scoops and rear wings were painted body color ONLY!.. Anything else is just "catatonically incorrect".

"MERCURY">LEADING THE WAY INTO THE NEW MILLENIUM..

67 trans am racer
69 sports special driver
69 convertible cruiser

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No wonder I get confused with all the black scoops and spoilers that I see.mm

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
YUP! YUP! PREFER BODY COLOR PARTS

I really prefer the original concept of the Eliminator stuff being body color. It looks classy and has a sleeper sort of effect; unlike painting them black and having them stand out too much. When Larry Shinoda designed the "Cougar Eliminator" he did it nicely.. !
Let us never forget whence it all began back in 67/68/69..!!

"Mercury Cougar" the luxury sports car with a touch of elegance">>>;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
To confuse you all a little more; the scoops on the '70's were black but the rear spoilers were still body color. Ford did decide they couldn't keep paint on the fiberglass so they went black in '70. Same as Boss 429 Mustangs were black but '69's were body color. I think it had to do with the heat of the engines on the scoop paint. Hope this clears things up.

Barry

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes Barry, that is exactly how I thought it was. 70 Black hood scoop. Thanks. mm

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well there is one hour left and reserve not hit at 14k. I guess e-bay is not the best place to sell something like that. I know I'd be nervous at spending that much sight unseen. The seller didnt give a very detailed description of the car either and that dosent help him either. I never understand why sellers dont go into more detail in there auctions, I mean e-bay gives you all the room you want. I would think that the car is worth 14k or more but if its been advertised around that much and not sold then the market has spoken. Just gose to show that the Cougars still wont bring as much as a comparible Mustang. mm

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about a loan

I'll bid on the car but I'm a little short. Does anyone have $14,000 they can borrow me. You're right about the market but I think things will change soon. Ebay is crazy. One day you'll see outragous bidding on a car not worth half the bid. And the next day cars that are worth it not even making the reserve. Supply and demand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts