Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
The wheels look great. Looks like you have a preference for having the rear of the vehicle lower than the front. I'm the opposite, I prefer the rear of the vehicle to be slightly higher than the front. I would take some of the spacers out of the rear springs to get the rear to sit an inch or so higher than it is now, but that is just my preference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My preference is lower front.....I will remedy the front soon.

If you look at the rocket, the car is level. Body line on bottom of door throws the look off.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wheels look great on that! Congrats...

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Car looks great, wheels look great, but your rear springs are not right. Look how low the shock mount is! I bet if you get a flat tire the shock will bottom out and dig into the ground. Also, with those lowering block I bet you have almost no rebound travel on that shock!

You need to get the right springs and vet rid of those 3" lowering block.

Andrew

·
Registered
66 Posts
NOTE: Nothing above a 4.0 back space will fit a factory equipped disc brake 69-70 Cougar. Not 4.125 or 4.250. Trust me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I was finally able to get some new springs for the front and rear of my Cougar. I also did the shocks while I was in there and replaced the strut rods. Car is riding great now and it looks better with the front down lower than the rear.

First picture is of before.

IMG_4132.jpg

Here is the after
IMG_5141.jpg
IMG_5142.jpg

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I was finally able to get some new springs for the front and rear of my Cougar. I also did the shocks while I was in there and replaced the strut rods. Car is riding great now and it looks better with the front down lower than the rear.

First picture is of before.

View attachment 92793

Here is the after
View attachment 92777
View attachment 92785
So give us a rundown of what you actually replaced. Looks like I was right about your old rear leafs being odd...

Andrew

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
There was apparently no question that the owner before me put in some "lifting" springs for whatever reason. I didn't put anything super special into the suspension since this car is strictly for cruising. In the past I have gone overboard because I like to put the best into whatever car I am working on. It took a lot of restraint to stick to the purpose of this car.

The front was recently renewed prior to my purchase of the car so it didn't need a whole lot.

Strut rods were replaced.
New front lowering springs
New front shocks
New rear leafs
New rear shocks

·
Registered
66 Posts
The rear is usually not the problem but the front. The offset should be the biggset concern and measurement to check.

rcode

21 - 35 of 35 Posts