Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the temp hand on my 69 goes to max hot within minutes of starting car. i have replaced the sending unit and it still does the same thing. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
You should not use teflon tape to seal the threads?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
the temp hand on my 69 goes to max hot within minutes of starting car. i have replaced the sending unit and it still does the same thing. any ideas?
Are you sure you have the correct sender?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You should not use teflon tape to seal the threads?
A high resistance connection between the sender body to block would cause a low temp reading, not a high one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removed the tape and reinstalled sending unit, no change. swaped the one from another 69 and no change. gage moves rapidly when car is runnimg, goes about half way when switched on. think it could be the gage? ive got a couple of spare clusters, gonna plug one in and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
On some cars there is a pigtail which plugs into the harness at the firewall and then the engine harness plugs into it. On those cars which had it, it is needed because there is a resistance in the temp sender lead required in order for the temp gauge to read correctly with the sender.

Carcheologist, any comments?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. i changed out the gage and the sending unit and the problem still exists. my car is a standard coupe w/351w. pretty much stock. i took a sending unit out of another cougar w same setup that works and still no change. i suspect its in the wiring somewhere. everything has worked fine since 2007. the car is only driven to shows and a few cruises a couple times a year. loss than 5k miles per year. it also appears that the gas gauge may be malfunctioning too, it shows 3/4 tank but im sure its less than that. i fill up every time i take it out so its usually less than a half tank when i get back. i will check for the pigtail at the harness tomorrow. thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Did you switch out the constant voltage regulator, it will affect the temp and gas gauge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Clawit, i switched out the voltage regulator with and old one and it did not work, i ordered the solid state one from mustangs unlimited, installed and problem fixed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts