Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting on a new harness for the oil pump, temp sending unit, and dist. I put a new sending unit on but it would either read way to hot , or not at all. It's the correct unit from MP for a 302. I put the old unit back in and it works fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks
PB

·
Registered
700 Posts
What part number is the sending unit? Are you sure it's for a gauge and not a light?

If i understand the workings correctly, the sending unit for a varies the resistance for a guage and for a light it's either open or closed. It sounds like you have the sending unit for a light.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its for the guage (68) and the MP unit looks the same as the original I put back on that does work. do these units have to be specific to the guage? It seems like such a simple principal so why does one work and the other does not?

·
Registered
700 Posts
No they're not specific to the guage. The sending unit simply varies resistance with temp on the guage type. And if your old one works fine then it must be a problem with the new one.

Guage or Light they look the same but internally they are different. I'd bet they sent the wrong sending unit or it could just be defective out of the box.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The only other thing it could be is a bad connection, but since your old sending unit works fine i'm thinking it's the sending unit.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, It is not as exact as an after market unit, but its good enough to go to H and let me know I'm about to blow a motor.

Thanks for the input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts