Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new to me 73 XR7 conv. 351 2bbl. Temp guage was not working so I replaced sending unit. Now guage pegs hot when ignition is turned on but does,t come down as engine warms up. Did NAPA give me the wrong sending unit?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's possible....I think there are different ones for othere vehicles that require different resistance levels...or maybe it
s's really running hot? Clevo or windsor?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Probably a stupid question but you didn't put any Teflon tape on the threads before putting in the new unit right?

·
Registered
945 Posts
something seems amis, isnt the 1st step in troubleshooting the gauge/sensor to remove the wire from the sensor, put to ground and turn on the ignition, if gauge pegs bad sensor if nothing wire problem? 1973 C's are a completely different animal when it comes to going down to the local parts store and getting something off the shelf :smoke:

·
Registered
37 Posts
CatsRock is right about grounding out the wire. Secondly, if I remember right there is a difference in sensor between a regular cat and an XR7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I grounded the sensor wire and gauge pegged hot. Checked resistance and got 0 to ground. Read somewhere cold resistance should be around 270. anyway sensor unplugged - no gauge movement. Time to get another sensor. This time I'll keep receipt and box.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You rguage pegs so that tells me it's not that - gotta be the wrong resistance....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sending unit from NAPA bad. Bought one from Advanced and it worked. Don't think retailer makes a difference, just a bad out of the box unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts