Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE 70 XR7 WITH FACTORY TEMP GAUGE . I HAD BEEN GETTING VERY LOWER END COLD READINGS ON THE GAUGE AFTER LONG DRIVEING PERIODS. TONIGHT I INSTALLED A NEW SENDING UNIT AND THE GAUGE NEEDLE READS ABOUT 80% WITH THE RED AREA IN THE GAUGE BEING 100%. THIS IS WITHOUT AC RUNNING. WHAT READINGS ARE SOME YOU GUYS GETTING. IS THAT A NORMAL READING OR IS IT RUNNING TOO HOT? I HAVE A 351W ENGINE.

THANKS

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have a pic in the photo gallery called "illegal acts" in that pic you can see my temp gauge. its usually about there. just a bit above the cold area. its a 351W as well

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had 2 67's and a '68 and they all were typically running at the 75-80 % hot side...I asked a cougar nut who said that as long as you were not in the top "H" area your were in the "normal" operating range...

Course I've never had the luxury of a true temperature gague that said what "temperature" the motor was running at. I guess that would be the cats' meow!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mine usually gets to about a quarter (Like Steve's), sometimes if its really really hot, it will go near the half, or if its really hot and I am on the freeway, hauling ass it will get to a little crack above half (Only happened once), or if its really cold, its gone all the way to the cool mark.

My motor runs really cool.

Chris

Oh, and I too, just put in a new sending unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts