Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 69 XR7 all put back together. Finally got everything working except the temp gauge. It stays all the way over to the hot side. When I bought this car, I found a brand new sensor still in the box in the trunk, so I'm guessing that the previous owner was going to replace it.

I looked in the manual and all over the engine but could not figure out where the coolant temp sensor is located. (I've stated here before that I'm not a very smart mechanic!) Where in the heck is it? Is there anything else I should check with the temp gauge? :confused:

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
390 Posts
The sensor screws into the top of the intake manifold, it has 1 wire that plugs into it, if that wire is off and laying where it touches metal than the dash gauge will peg hot, if the wire is in fact attached than chances are the sensor is bad, if you pull the wire off the sensor the gauge should indicate C.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You could have a temperature SWITCH for a non-gauge (idiot light) car installed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If the wire to the sensor has shorted out somewhere that would also cause it to peg to "hot", even if it is connected to the sending unit. If it has shorted it would most likely be from rubbing against the intake manifold, valve covers, or other underhood component. The combination of heat and vibration could wear the insulation off and cause the short, best to trace the wire and check.
I just installed a new sensor and underhood harness, hoping my gauge works again when I start it up in the spring!
good luck!
Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts