Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some time to kill? Want to know how to disassemble, clean, rebuild and reassemble your disc brake proportioning valve and distribution block? Or are you just looking for a little mindless entertainment? Well here ya go! This applies to 1967-1969 mainly, since in 1970 they integrated the prop valve into the dist block so it's a little different. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Great vid!

So where are your rebuild kits on the site. Missed them in the brake section...
Have a couple of 70 blocks that need to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
What a glorious day! After a complete R&R of the fuel system, tune up, brake job, new tires and a myriad of other repairs needed to awaken a Cougar after a decade long slumber, we got to take her out on a maiden voyage last night. After completing the brake job we had an initial scare though, they would not bleed! Duh... Should have taken the advice I often give over the phone. Even though the old brake hoses looked fine, they were swollen shut. No amount of pedal pressure would even get one air bubble to pass to the calipers! Had me scared for a moment, thought maybe after my long step by step video I had done something wrong in the rebuild of the distribution block and proportioning valve! What a great feeling to drive through the streets of Salem with the cool summer evening breeze in my face, get the occasional heads up, and hear the rumble of the V8 (with a slight miss and blown out exhaust doughnut!) As many of you know I work with street kids. It was really cool to take a young man named Taylor for his first ride in a classic and first ride in a convertible to boot. Had him a little nervous though talking about "what if" and "what's the farthest you have ever pushed a car?" and "what was that clunk?"

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Another nice video, one comment. I think the prop valve is not the same as a residual pressure valve as suggested in the video, care to comment?

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Another nice video, one comment. I think the prop valve is not the same as a residual pressure valve as suggested in the video, care to comment?

Regards,

Bob
Good catch! Should have said, "Often incorrectly referred to as a residual valve". I was wracking my brain trying to remember the other terms for this unit, why did I not just go over to www.cougarpartscatalog.com and look at the listing? DOH! I think the term I was trying to remember was "Pressure Differential Valve" or "Disc brake pressure control valve" some have referred to it as a "Limiter or Pressure Reduction Valve". Its function is to cushion the brake fluid flow under heavy braking on cars with disc brakes as the weight is transferred to the front wheels. The residual valve is embedded in the master cylinder and its function is to keep about 10 pounds of pressure in the line at all times to the rear drum brakes. If this pressure is not present the springs will pull the brake shoes away from the drums and the umbrella seals tend to relax causing the rear wheel cylinders to leak a little when parked for extended periods. Looks like I need to revise the video (no biggee) so I would enthusiastically invite others to comment on what I could correct or improve upon. Anyone? I promise, we will get better at these videos in time and eventually have a good "chuckle" at these early attempts.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Great video Don, You guy's are the best! We are really blessed to have great info on our cars, where other car makes out there don't have the quality of "how too like we do".

Also love the fact that your family gets involved also,........by the way, were you scrubbing the toilet with a tooth brush?:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I see another project in my future, I have completely ignored those parts. Thanks for the great info again and promise us you won't be leaving for Hollywood soon.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Rednecks like myself don't last long in Hollyweird... Andrew on the other hand probably will not stay with WCCC forever, one day he will grow tired of working for parts or someone will "discover" him slaving away in our back room and woo him away with an offer of real money! Seriously, Andrew is the real talent here...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Rednecks like myself don't last long in Hollyweird... Andrew on the other hand probably will not stay with WCCC forever, one day he will grow tired of working for parts or someone will "discover" him slaving away on our back room and woo him away with an offer of real money! Seriously, Andrew is the real talent here...
Actually Don, I was picturing you cleaning toilets for Steven Spielberg. But yea, if Andrew keeps showing his talent we'll be back to looking at pictures of dead Cougars covered in snow.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don \ Andrew - thanks for the video, like some others, this is one piece I have ignored too... Question though, on my drum brake distribution valve, is the disassembly the same as you showed on your convert's distribution valve? I have already bookmarked the <a href='http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/hts6768drumbrakes.html'>67-69 Drum Seal Kit</a> from WCCC, just want to make sure when I order it I can use the video as a guide in the rebuild.

Thanks!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Gotta say, the time goes by quick when I am watching these vids. Thanks, good stuff. great that the family gets involved.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Gotta say, the time goes by quick when I am watching these vids. Thanks, good stuff. great that the family gets involved.
Thanks for the compliments guys! I am pretty proud of my family so including them is mostly for my own entertainment. Might be fun to look back someday when my boys run the company and see videos of them in the "early days".

·
Registered
367 Posts
Question though, on my drum brake distribution valve, is the disassembly the same as you showed on your convert's distribution valve? I have already bookmarked the 67-69 Drum Seal Kit from WCCC, just want to make sure when I order it I can use the video as a guide in the rebuild.

Don - I am sure you just missed this, but is the rebuild process for the manual drum brake distribution blocks the same as you showed in this video?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The drum brake one is so simple you really do not need explanation. The reason we focused on this one only is that that proportioning valve is very delicate, valuable and tricky to disassemble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts