Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing off our first official mercurycougar.net product review. WOW you say? Kid yourself not! The stars aligned and I had me, my digital camera, and a product to review all in the same place!!

For the review, I, your dedicated host am installing RPM Overlay's White face gauges on my 69 XR7 Instrument cluster. (Ok, well, it's a spare cluster, so sue me)

The full review will have a complete documented installation with pics and everything and will show up sometime this weekend.

In the mean time, here's a pic of the finished product whilst you wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
whoa... they look really good. too bad i have the standard instruments.....

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
hey since we're on the topic... How do you get that instrument cluster out of the dash so I can get at the wires behind the thing? thanks for the help. - Chad

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I saw those on Ebay as well, but hesitant cuz the guy never returned my email about if they make them for the clock as welll. If they made one for the clock, then I'd definately think about getting those for sure.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Undo the 4 1/4in. head screws (whatever), pull slighly until it's kinda free, careful not to damage any wiring as you pull. Kinda simple, kinda tricky, but be carefull. Dont heve on it or tyou will break something, and dont force it out.

Rick

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I have that much, but it's held in there by what I think is the speedometer cable. I don't know how to get that stuff undone - that's my real problem. I can only pull it out about an inch or so, which doesn't help me at all. So how do I get past this barrier? thanks - Chad

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Chad

on a 68 you have to reach in behind the dash and uncrew the cable from the speedo head. It is a real pain.

If you remove the wiring plugs first and tacho connector if XR7 you can generally tilt the dash to get at the knurled ring that screws on to the speedo. Make sure you put a rag around the steering column as you will probably scratch it

·
Registered
364 Posts
that looks good, logan...

all you need now is a spare steering wheel and you can sit on the floor and go "VROOOOM!"

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you take the speedometer cable out of the clip that holds it up against the under side of the floor, you will have plenty of room to pull it out far enough to undo it. Screw off 67-88, unclip 69 and on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Chad

Take out the temperature controls it makes it alot easier to get to the controls; that is if the speedometer is on the driver side like the standards. No matter what you do it is still a major pain. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts