Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is something I would never actually do, but wanted to after tonight. After work I went out to the car, started her up, let her warm up for a few minutes just like I always do...

I leave the parking lot, and go home the same way I always go home. On the way there, I come accross a large curved, fairly steep hill that I have driven up many times before. This time, I am coming down a hill, get to the flat curve at the bottom, and start climbing the previously mentioned "large, curvy fairly steep hill"...

I start hitting the accelerator to maintain my speed up the hill, but as I press the gas I am still slowing down...there I am, dead cat on the steepest part of the hill and it's pitch black outside. I try to start her up. She starts, revs up to about 1700, then dies. I try this 6 or 7 times with the same results.

I hit my flashers and reach for my cell phone. Guess what? Phone's dead too..."no service" it tells me...I get out of the car, go up the hill and knock on someones door to ask if I can use the phone...

I call my dad who calls AAA for me, and he says he will be on his way. I walk back down to the car, sit down for about 5 minutes. For the hell of it, I try to start her up again, and this time she stays on. I let her idle for about 30 seconds, and am finally able to get her home. All in all, I was pretty bugged...

Any suggestions/ideas/words of advice? Thanks.

Alex

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
1 Coil - check wires to coil
2 Blocked fuel filter
3 Float level in carb - if it was through a high G curve might not have enough fuel
4 Fuel pump - might not be pumping enough fuel

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is this guy at work that has a '67 302 and he said the same thing happened to him once and it turned out that one of his distributor wires was loose and came in contact with the engine. This sound like something to look into?

·
Registered
794 Posts
due to the hill, it sounds like a fuel issue while you were at a severe angle. I dont know much about carbs, so I cant help much here.

Does it happen anywhere else?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, it has never happened at all before, and I have taken that hill plenty of times before.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
sputtering/stalling

My one buddy with the 71 Mach w/514 used to have a 351-2V in there. Waaaaay back in high school, He gave me a ride home in it. His car had a very annoying problem in that it would stall out every time he made a right hand turn. It was an automatic response for him to put the car in Neutral and hit the key every time he turned. What a PITA!

I never heard what the problem was.

Sorry I can't help. Just had to share the story.

Milo

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
It started back up on the hill, so if it is fuel it might be a filter. I had an electric fuel pump that would die after about 15 minuets, then start back up in a few minuets. I aso had a coil that was going out did that too. Maybe the condenser. How much fuel was in the tank at the time? (should'nt matter though). Hard to say not knowing

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...can't really say on the fuel. My gas gauge isnt reading so lemme see...I had about 15 gallons in the tank on Wednesday. That day I drove about 35 miles. Thursday...maybe 7 miles. Friday, again...7 miles. Saturday, probably about 8-10 miles and that is when the car gave.

Rounded, that is about 60-65 miles. I think I get about 11-12 MPG with the 351 4V. So lets look at the worst case scenario and say I only had about 6 gallons in the tank...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts