Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know the type of tailpipe tips that came with the 67 dual exhaust? There are presently chrome screw-on type tips and although they don't look too bad, I don't like that look. I prefer the plain "downturn cut on an angle" look to the pipe ends... but only if it resembles what originally came on the 67. Thanks for the :1zhelp: !

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Tailpipe tip treatment

Bruter,

You have hit the nail on the head. That's all the tailpipe treatment you should use on your Cat if you're going for originality. (30-degree turndown cut on an angle)

If I can ever figure out how to post pics on here without exceeding the max byte count, I'll post a pic of the proper treatment. (Logan -- hint-hint-hint!)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Most 67's had single exhaust and had turn down's exiting before the rear valace, so you cant see them. Some had duals that exited the same way. The 68 XR7-G had them coming thru the rear valace like the Mustang GT's, with the GT exhaust tips.

Hope that helps.
I have a pic of the XR7-G if you like to see it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I like the way it looks to, if nicely done, and no ugly cheap chrome tip shows. I made on for my Cougar from a spare valance I have. It looks ok. I just might get the exhaust exiting in front of the tire now, 3 in. of course.

Rick

·
Registered
406 Posts
If a pack of wild beasts [also known as my niece and nephew] hadn't destroyd my digital camera I'd show some pics of how my exhuast looks right now, but let me tell you it's wild! I've got the mufflers (2 1/2 inch folwmasters) facing out towards the back tires. It was a home job, very do-it-yourself like but it sure does sound good. - Chad

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Get the wild beast's to sit down and draw it, maybe next time they wont touch your stuff,:D . Worked on my kids, kinda, sorta, maybe, well, I tried.lol.

Try and get some pics anyways, I havent decided how I'm doing mine, but I dont want it mickey-ducked, with X-pipe and good flowmasters or something.

Rick

·
Registered
669 Posts
I like the thru the valance look. On mine i just did the exhaust about a year ago. 2.5" from the hedders to the back with crossover and two summit 3 chamber mufflers. The exhaust is black and comes out directly below the valance and sticks out about an inch. Looks pretty wild. This isn't flimsy tubing either, it's 14 guage. If i ever get a digital camera, i'll post some pix.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Cougrrcj

Pics have to be less than 100KBs. Any Photo Shop software can reduce the size. In Corel Photopaint 9 it's 'IMAGE' and and 'RESAMPLE'. For some reason I have to reduce it to 80KBs or so.
I always reduce a copy, just in case!

Does anyone have a good photo of 1969 stock dual tailpipes? I've got 2 1/2" pipes but I want the turn downs to look right. I've got chrome tips on it now, but I don't like them. I thought about cutting out the fiberglass valance and using the 69 Mach 1 style twin tips.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Cougrrcj! did you have any luck with that tail pipe picture? Would really like to see it.

·
5,470 Posts
Tailpipe treatment pic

I'm working on it. I suppose the best thing to do is use the cheap digital camera and then post that directly.

I don't have my Cougar together, so you'll have to look at the tip treatment on my 89 Grand Marquis w/duals! Gotta wait until I have a nice day to take pics though.

·
5,470 Posts
OH, and when you see the pics of the Marquis, try not to laugh too hard. Its the middle of winter here and I'm not going to freeze my lug nuts off washing it first. Oh, and its rusty. Hey, its my winter beater! :p:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't worry about the rust and dirt...I understand winter VERY well!! And I could do a two hand count of the times I washed my 92 pickup!!! (Will be even less when the 67 comes out:D !)

PS...hey, it's my 67th post!! Cool.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
winter?? is that the season between "mild weather" and "mild weather, but sun stays out longer"?? he he he, i love California

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, at least we get a break from the bugs!! lol And as for 67 being my lucky number....you bet!! The cougar is a great source of enjoyment :D !!...and will be even more when I could actually drive [email protected]#$%^&*. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OUR bugs that is!!! Not too many of them flying around in -30 degree temps......aright, aright...enough with the warm and perfect weather!!!:puke: lol

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey Cougrrcj , the weather in Ohio must be lousy these days

:p: ....would really like to see a picture of the "proper" tailpipe tip treatment!!!!:1poke:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts