Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustangs unlimited shows the same part number for both the left and right tailpipe hanger. In the assembly manual it looks like they're supposed to be side specific. Anyone know if it matters?

·
Registered
913 Posts
One side will be correct for single exhaust, and the other side will be backwards as far as to where the pipe hanger fits. The tab that the pipe hanger fits on will be to the rear on the single exh. side and to the front on dual exh. side. Most will not notice.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well, I be Dang! I knew they were made for Muskrats but didn't know they had them for Cougars, the difference being in the mounting bracket for the mufflers. Thanks Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Well, I be Dang! I knew they were made for Muskrats but didn't know they had them for Cougars, the difference being in the mounting bracket for the mufflers. Thanks Bob
You are welcome Carlton. They are a fairly recent part and I think they come from SMS from what Tom at KTL tells me (Tom provided NOS hangers and never saw them again from what he has told me). The difference is in the frame mounting metal part, not the muffler metal mounting part though, the muffler metal mounting part is the same on mustang and Cougar.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
The difference is in the frame mounting metal part, not the muffler metal mounting part though, the muffler metal mounting part is the same on mustang and Cougar.

That's what I meant.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The difference is in the frame mounting metal part, not the muffler metal mounting part though, the muffler metal mounting part is the same on mustang and Cougar.

That's what I meant.
Yep, I thought you did! Anyway, great to be able to get them, huh?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yep, I thought you did! Anyway, great to be able to get them, huh?

Regards,

Bob
Yes it is. I bought a set of mustang ones off ebay, knocked the rivets out of both Mustang. and Cougar frame pieces, had to order and wait for new rivets a week, riveted the cougar pieces to the Mustang rubber straps and then had to refinish them, and all the long I could have bought new ones. YEA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts