Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you'll be able to pass inspection if only the middle taillight flashes instead of the three sequencing? I'm working on finding the problem but want to get the inspection out of the way tomorrow if possible. Thanks for the help!

Ben

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I would think that would constitute a working signal light.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't know about Delaware but the pa inspection rules are available on the internet. I'm also thinking the inspector might say you've got some lights that need to be replaced. In pa the shops do inspections so this is an opportunity to make money to them, but aren't the de inspection stations state-run, and only tell you pass or fail and It's up to you to get it fixed and come back?

I thought you lost your cougar to a fire?? Good to see you're still around!
Kevin

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's how Delaware works. Currently there are no tags on it so even if it fails for that, I'll need a temporary tag to get it around so I'll give it a shot.

Kevin, you're right about the fire. It's been a crazy month and a half and I'm hoping to have a final update on everything soon. I haven't been giving any updates yet since I'm a little superstitious and don't want to jinx anything. Hopefully everything's settled soon and I'll fill everyone in then.

Ben

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
All lights must be clean, in working order and properly aimed. This includes stoplights, turn signals, license plate lights, parking lights and headlights

From your DMV website. I guess it may depend on the individual inspector whether working order means all three bulbs or if one is sufficient.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ben look forward to your updates on the new cat!

Here in CT there were a few things DMV was very picky about. #1 you have a current temp tag on the car or have the car towed there. If it's towed it has to remain on the truck until the inspector can see it. If you drive it with no plates or expired temp that's a no no. They used to cut you some slack in this area but not anymore. #2 all paperwork is in order and matches your VIN. #3 all glass is in place and not broken or cracked. Our DMV's are understaffed and there's normally just 1 inspector for inspections and driving tests. Soon as my guy saw a hint of signal light he waved to change sides. Inspection was fast and just the basics checked. We have gone from simple parking lot inspections to elaborate state of the art inspection and emission stations back to parking lot inspections. With the old inspection stations front end alignment and components were checked, brakes were checked on a skidpad, parking brakes had to hold the car in gear, full exhaust. lights, wipers, horn etc........ Now with all the state cutbacks and former corruption all the stations were closed and we are back to a simple parking lot inspection. LOL. Anyway good luck and hope you can squeek it through!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I know this won't help but I had two lights out on my cougar when I was sixteen. I got pulled over by the state police and that was the excuse they had for pulling me over. In reality I believe cause it was a young kid in a hot car!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ben,
I have my inspection license in PA.....I think DE is a little easier, but in PA, I would pass your lights.

****I highly doubt anyone is going to know how an early Cougar is supposed to work.****

"In pa the shops do inspections so this is an opportunity to make money to them"

Kevin,
You need to find someone that you trust, PA State Inspection (safety) is a really good deal for the money if done correctly. Emission Inspection is a little pricey, but all that expensive equipment was forced on stations by the state and they have to pay for it somehow.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Up here, I passed the Inspection without both outer lights working on flashers. They do work on everything else

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the solid state unit from WCCC but was waiting to swap the old one out until I passed inspection just in case I screwed something up. It turns out when I was messing around with the old unit it stopped working altogether so I put in the new solid state unit and they all work perfectly. Now I just have the usual fun of going through DMV :)

Ben

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So where do I look to find out about a new cat Ben? I looked at your previous posts and did not see anything new since the "lost to fire" posts. What did I miss!?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob, I'm waiting for an update on the legal issues before updating everyone. I haven't even talked about it to the people I work with yet. I'm cautiously optimistic about everything, but can't totally let go in case things blow up in my face. Hopefully I'll be updating my original thread soon. Sorry to be cryptic but I don't want to put a hex on me ;).

Ben

1 - 12 of 12 Posts