Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im dropping fluid.. i think its from a combination of sitting and a bad tail seal..

I watched a little DIY YouTube video on the guy doing a tailshaft seal on a explorer, with the tranny still in the vehicle. He pulled the driveshaft and then pulled the bushing out, is it that easy?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
im dropping fluid.. i think its from a combination of sitting and a bad tail seal..

I watched a little DIY YouTube video on the guy doing a tailshaft seal on a explorer, with the tranny still in the vehicle. He pulled the driveshaft and then pulled the bushing out, is it that easy?
The bushing is one thing, the seal is another. Yes, you can change the seal with the trans in the vehicle. No you cannot change the bushing without doing more. On a manual, you can remove the tail housing with the trans in the vehicle. On an automatic same thing IF the tail housing comes off the main housing, most do not. So, in general for an automatic the trans must come out if it needs a new tailshaft bushing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my understanding of things, there is going to be a bearing for the Drive Shaft to slide in to and then a bushing to keep all the tranny fluid in the tranny. Which i think may be the seal you are referring too.

Am I correct in saying this?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There is a bushing, (which is a sleeve bearing) and then there is a seal.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, thank-you for the insight. Are they in that order as well from front of the car back? The car has sit for the last 5-6 years.. and started and driven a limited amount (hasnt been registered in 7 years).. I have been told the 12qts or so that the tranny holds can bleed from the seals if the car is not run regularly, truth?

·
Registered
913 Posts
To add to what Bob has said, if your only problem is a leak, you may not need the bushing, just the seal that is driveshaft slips through on the back of the trany. To answer your Question about fluid bleed from seals,, a seal is suppose to seal, if it don't it's bad.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...Are they in that order as well from front of the car back...
The bushing is in front of the seal so yes, bushing then seal front to back.

...I have been told the 12qts or so that the tranny holds can bleed from the seals if the car is not run regularly, truth?
This should not be the case unless the seals are bad, so if it leaks generally the seals need to be replaced. However a very loose bushing could cause an otherwise good seal to leak. A bad bushing would be evident as the yoke being excessively loose when engaged normally in the trans; being able to be pushed visibly side to side (or up and down) in the trans. The bushings generally do not wear out, but it does happen on occasion. This is usually accompanied by a wear spot on the yoke where the yoke outer surface would be depressed in the area it rides in the bushing. You can feel this sort of wear (and usually see it) by running a finger along the tubular part of the yoke.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the bushing CAN be removed in the car with the right tools--mark @ mel's transmissions loaned me the bushing remover (a slightly tapered / threaded item) that you drive in with an impact gun--this locks it to the bushing---then theres a jack bolt that goes in and presses against the tailshaft end and pulls the bushing out---a second tool can be used to drive the new bushing in over the tailshaft--be sure to align the drain holes---then tap in the new seal
i think many bushings get warn cuz of the poor factory driveshaft balance---rebalancing took out alot of vibrations
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Interesting Doc, thanks for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts