1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone answer a question for me???
i just picked up my new car and was starting
to clean it up a little. The tail lights were in need
of a good cleaning so i just took the right side apart.
i have it in two pieces, the red plastic lens cover and the
chrome cover to the lens. the plastic cleaned up very nice.
my question is about the chrome piece. Is it chrome all over
or is it chrome with black paint on part off it? the one that i am
working has a good bit of black paint that is chiped and looks
bad. what do you guys and gals think i need to do? I do not
have the $ to restore the car 100%. i just want a cool ride.

thanks,
Jim
1967 xr-7

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I redid mine last year and what I did is this ....Took them all apart, polished the red lense, cleaned the grillwork with M.E.K., sanded where the black was, taped off the edge of the ribs on the grill, and painted them with a good satin black, and reassembled them ..... They came out really nice...

Total cost..... about 10 bucks in materials... about 8 hours of labor spread out over a couple of days........

Don:D:)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
end result

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
CARDINAL RED......

Don

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
maybe im just lazy, but when i sprayed my grill, all i did was get a rattle can of Rustoleum satin Black and i sprayed the entire grill. ( no masking ) then i took a rag soaked in laquer thinner and wiped down each individual rib after the paint had sat for about 15 minutes. after i cleaned all the ribs off it looked great. just dont spray the car itself or the Cat emblem and youll be fine. and how long did it take?? 30 minutes and $4 worth of materials he he.id do the taillights the same way, well, if i had the ribs on them anymore.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used the same process as Texrep except that I used Post-It 2 line coverup tape to mask the ribs. It is exactly the right width. Maybe someone makes masking tape that width but I couldn't find it. The Post-It is at every office supply.
It is important to use a self-etching primer or the paint won't stick to the chrome. I used SEM self etching aerosol and their semi gloss black.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
That is exactly the tape i used also.... one roll was enough to do both sides but just barely..... I also did the thinner thing first but i didn't like the results... but it did work also:D

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts