Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working on the sequential taillights AND brake lights on a 69 i bought a month ago and im nearly stumped. i replaced the turn signal switch in behind the wheel and all the bulbs, i get emergency flashers on all six tail lights and i get running lights, but no turn signals at all and no brake lights ever. ive replaced all the fuses, but some of them are missing prongs and i cant tell which ones are supposed to be there. does anyone have any ideas where to start or how to diagnose? ive memorized the troubleshooting guide online, but any other tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Emergency on all 3? Isn't it supposed to be just the center light on each side? Or was that one of the changes for '69?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Emergency on all 3? Isn't it supposed to be just the center light on each side? Or was that one of the changes for '69?
That was a change for 69/70. These lights can be a pain in the arse, I have everything working like it's suppose to until I turn on the lights, and then instead of the turn signal blink one at a time, all three blink at once. dallas6768, disconnect the plug from your brake light switch and check for 12V on one pin or the other, if you have 12v, jumper the pins together and see if you have brake lights, if you do, then bad switch, if you don't have 12V at the switch check the 15Amp circuit breaker.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have just about memorized that trouble shooting guide, and nothing in there explains what's is happening with my lights

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mine have done that same thing since I've owned it, when the headlights are on the signals will not sequence, they just blink all together, a 130A alternator didn't cure it either.
To the original poster, have you checked the brake light switch, also the dimmer switch when cause open circuits when not plugged in or bad connection.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just ordered a electronic flasher to replace the tin can flasher. This is suppose to cure my problem, I will let you know.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Brakes and flashers use the same circuit. Do you have a wiring diagram to work with? If not, you may be replacing parts unnecessarily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help guys, no i havent checked the dimmer switch, ive checked the brake light switch but cant seem to find a correct piece to compare it to... does anyone know where i can buy a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Come on, you're pulling our leg, Right. It's that round silver thing sticking up from the toe board you dim the head lights with.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just ordered a electronic flasher to replace the tin can flasher. This is suppose to cure my problem, I will let you know.
The electronic flasher was the cure for my problem, they flash just perfect, even with the lights on.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The electronic flasher was the cure for my problem, they flash just perfect, even with the lights on.
What I have always done is just try different flashers from the junkbox until I get one that flashes at the right rate (slow enough) to let the sequencer do it's job (with both the HL's on and off). Every red can sequential flasher I have ever come across has been bad, so my method above has been my tact for many, many years. Works for me, but the electronic version is a better way I am sure. Guess if I end up having trouble down the line I will keep this fix in mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts