Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not very good, or good at all with electrical issues. My 68 XR-7 Tail lights are not working properly, and I don't want to spend moeny or the wrong parts. The driver side tail light only lights up the first two pannels when the blinker is on. The passenger side only lights up the first pannel.
When I brake the opposite pannels light up then the ones when blinker is applied?? Confused? When brakes applied the ones that did not work before, now work and working light now do not.
I have checked the bulbs, connections and wires. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Should I purchase the componet that activated the blinkers in squence? I'm new to this form and any help is greatly appreciated. Love this sight, glaad I found it!:wave:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Have you tried to "clean" the bulb connections (dots on the bottom of the bulbs) with an bit of light grade sandpaper? That and undue and retighten all of the grounds to the wiring harness for the bulbs in the trunk. Let us know if it still doesn't cooperate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have not tried to "clean" the bulb connections. I will and update everyone with my results. Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It sounds like the motor to the cam quick working. Can you hear or tell if the motor is turning the cam that alternates the lights? No expert but it sounds like it is lighting up what the cam lobes are touching but that the cam is not rotating. If this is the case and you should be able to hear it running you will have to replace that part. Or if you don't mind sounds like it might be time to put the new electronic unit in that replaces the motor and cam. obviously your light bulbs are ok if they are lighting up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I can hear the cam when the blinkers are turned on. Yep I might have to spend the $$ on a new cam. I will work on it this Friday and update everyone. I want this corrected so I can get her inspected and on the road!! This is the last hang up before I can enjoy her.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Don't spend the money for the cam just yet, If you hear the cam rotating it is probably doing its job. You can open the plastic box that covers the cam and watch it, if it is rotationg look at each individual point set it turns on and off, if all is well, leave well enough alone. You can check it by unpluging the 4 wire plug going to it and puting power to the male lead of the plug going to the motor, this should activate the motor and then with a test light touch each of the female plugs and you shoud get power as each point set is rotated. The cam is actually sending power to the big relay next to the motor (K-8 relay in the repair manual) the K-8 then sends power to each light in sequence. Use your test light and check to see if power is coming out of the K-8, if not its the problem. If you have power coming out its probably the ground or a connection in the harness. Hope I made this sound as simple as it really is! good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.

I located a "red" four pronged connector that has two wires cut from it. From what I can tell the wires are supposed to be connected to the main set up for the tail lights. I will attach a photo today of the plug. I checked Auto Zone, and did not locate a plug. So I'm off to Radio Shack at lunch.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes that red connector will need to have all the wires connected to make the system work, but I was refering to the flat four prong plug that comes right out of the motor. Big white square box (by big I mean 2 by 2 inch) it will have one orange and three yellow wires coming out of it and goes to a black four prong plug. If you pull it apart it will have one male and three female plugs from the motor. These are the ones you can test to see if the motor is doing its job. I doubt radio shack will have the plug you'll need, you can get a partial harness from WCCC to repair or rebuild the harness you have. It sounds like its cut up bad. or you can dump the old system and just go with the computor box, but sounds like you'll still have to repair the harness to hook it up. Let us know how your doing and I look forward to seeing the pic's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your description is correct. It appears to be the only wires cut/connection issue....so far. For some reason I cannot attach photos to this form.....it requires my URL of image? I will see what I can get done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mistress, do you know what the red plug does? Maybe what it's called? I'm a rookies....what does WCCC stand for?
I will test the "big" box tonight and update everyone tomorrow. thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: Spent time with my Cougar this weekend. I am more than frustrated. I got he driver side to work, but now both front blinkers(flashers) come on for turning left??? The right side still only has one light working and no front blinkers. I have removed the red connector and use new quick connect from radio shack. I have tried all options of connections (or so I think) and still no luck. I just want to take her out, but cannot get inspected. I will keep trouble shooting and updating.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I worked on my car this weekend. I got the driver side blinkers to work, but then the front flashers turn on?? I removed the red connector and used quick connects from Radio Shack. I believe I've tried every option...and still not functioning properly. Has anyone ever took a car into a shop for electrical work? Not sure many shops even deal with that.
The passenger blinker still only blinks the first light.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey I feel for ya!!! I know its frustrating but I don't think I would take your car to a shop unless you know for sure, absolutley, positivley that they know the early Cougar or Thunderbird turn signal systems. Most shops are near a $100.00 per hour labor rates and you'll spend a fortune while they learn the system and then they'll give up!! First find a shop book or a electrical diagram. Even these are hard to follow some times. But then you can find the connector and back track the wires and see where they go and connect yours correctly. Did you find out if the motor assembly was working correctly? You also have several relays under the dash that control the turnsignals. The turn signal should light the front and all three rear and when they go out the indicator will light and go out when the others start there sequence again. Also voltage will play havic with this system, try having a battery charger hooked up and charging while your doing this that might help with the one blink and quit syndrome. If you can't find a diagram send me a message with your phone number and I'll try to help you.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It sounds like you may need to really dig into testing the wires for continuity from end to end - a wiring diagram is a neccesity though.....you will save some grief. It's a painful process....but it will pay off in the end. Also once you get them working, I would then go back and solder all your connections and don't rely on crimp on ones. It's well worth the effort, and will save you headaches later on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts