Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tail lights are extremely dim. Probably so much so to be a safety issue. What's the best way to go about brightening them up? I'm sure one way is new bulbs, but where is the best place to get them?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Unless its just one or two, I doubt it's the bulbs. If all dim across the light bar, then check to make sure you ground is good.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello chromiumAge Would think you have good Lenses that are not dark. But check your wire ground's that there clean. My cougar is coming home Sunday cant wait to drive again. Hope this helps

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can I locate the ground wire?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would start in the trunk, Grounds on your Sequencer and the ground on lights to car body, ground on your battery and beleave a gound to your body

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would start in the trunk, Grounds on your Sequencer and the ground on lights to car body, ground on your battery and beleave a gound to your body
Could you be a little more specific where the ground is in the trunk? The ground on the batter comes off the negative terminal to the radiator bracket right?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The wires and plugs that is in the trunk on and in the box that makes your turn signal work a ground wire are white but check them all. And yes on the battery terminal negative clean the post and do the + post too. But check and clean any ground.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Poor ground can cause a voltage drop as they all speak of, check your voltage to & through the run, should stay consistant at 12 volts + & should peak at 13.8v when engine is running.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poor ground can cause a voltage drop as they all speak of, check your voltage to & through the run, should stay consistant at 12 volts + & should peak at 13.8v when engine is running.
I just changed the voltage regulator and the battery. The battery is consistently at 12.7 volts and when running it puts goes up to about 14.7. This problem still existed before that though. Tomorrow, I'll definitely clean up those ground wires.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
take the whole light assy off the car---the lens have allowed moisture into the reflector assy---clean and repaint the reflector area with chrome silve spray paint---wash the lens and polish the outside surface with plastic polish---doctordesoto

·
Registered
726 Posts
My 69 tail lights don't have a ground wire (not sure about 67); they're grounded through the assembly mounting bolts/nuts/washers to the body. If the surface where the nuts & washers touch the body is rusted or painted, you won't have a good ground. Clean several of the surfaces down to clean bare metal. At least, this is where I had the same problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
take the whole light assy off the car---the lens have allowed moisture into the reflector assy---clean and repaint the reflector area with chrome silve spray paint---wash the lens and polish the outside surface with plastic polish---doctordesoto
I hate to say it, but I think you're right. I cleaned up the grounds as best I could. It made little to no difference. I took off the tail light assembly, and christ that thing was dirty as hell! Doesn't WCCC sell restored assemblies?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I've repainted my housings, but I've only really noticed a marginal increase in brightness. I put in some LED lights, and they achieve the right brightness, but they don't work right when the turn signal is on. Also, now it seems my brake lights won't work. Where can I find the fuse to see if it's bad? I really hope I don't have to fix the brake light switch....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Did you brake lights ever work? What voltage do you see at teh tail light socket? Sounds like you have decent voltage from the alt - so now it's a matter of following it back and seeing if your losing it. The fuse box is just under the drivers side dash. Good place to start - check your voltage there and then work your way to each connector and then the sockets.....clean them as you go

·
Registered
105 Posts
Like he said & & did earlier, break out a volt meter & it will Not lie, if you don't have one get a cheap one at auto parts store about $15-, you should be right around 12v with engine off & should go up when engine is running.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got an el cheapo multi-meter. I'll check it out!

The brakes definitely worked at one point, because I passed a state safety test when I got it registered as an antique car. I'm wondering if using the LEDs caused a fuse to burn. it doesn't sound very likely though. Thanks for all the tips guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts