Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running lights work, all of them. But when you brake just one on each side work, not even same light, one in the middle and other is on the end. Also whenever running lights are on, hit the turn signal to turn left and the right side goes out except one. Weird weird stuff. Any ideas? Relays? Fuses? Wiring?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
What year car?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The L/R aspect of this issue is strange but any time I hear of an electrical issue where turn signal behavior is affected by parking lights is to check all dual filament bulbs (i.e., all TS bulbs, front and rear) for proper grounding of the socket. Lack of ground can cause all sorts of odd behavior, most of which involves TS and PL interactions.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The ground is the connection from the metal socket shell (that the bulbs go into) to the housing that they plug into (and that the housing is well grounded to the body as well). I am unsure if the 71-73 cars had different sockets from 69/70 so it is possible that they were different (say plastic with a dedicated ground wire). I am sure someone familiar can speak to that. If they are the same as 69/70, you check housing ground with an ohmmeter, checking for low resistance from housing to metal on the body and then with the socket installed (tabs bent outward so that the socket snaps in firmly to the housing) from the socket shell to body metal should be low resistance. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts