Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
This may sound silly and simple,but have you tried taking off the driver tail light and cleaning out the lens? I know on my 68, the driver fender marker lights was quite a bit dimmer. I thought it may have been the bulb. When I took off the lens to inspect it I noticed the seal was brittle and the lens was filthy. After cleaning it, it was brighter than the passenger side and I had to clean that one too. It wasn't quite as dirty as the drivers was.

If all the wiring was swapped and problem is still there it would lead one to believe that it may be an issue with a relay, I lent my '68 shop manual to a fellow cougar owner and my bodyman has my '67 shop manual. I'm not positive of how this circut runs. SOmeone out there must know. Do you have a spare sequential flasher unit? Try swapping it out and see if you get the same problem.

I would honestly check and clean the inside of the lens first. It's easy to do so what have you got to lose?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 73 has a slightly different sequential unit, but 1 of my bulbs wasn't getting full power because of poor grounding; somewhere where the power goes through the bulbs to the chassis on the one side.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Steve's 73 is right on sounds like a ground issue on that side to me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ditto with the grounds. By the way the flashers have nothing to do with the regular tail lights. They're not on the same circuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts