Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use the speedo and tach from an XR-7 in my Standard cluster? I have an MSD ignition, so is it as simple as running the tach lead from the box to the tach, or is this tach special. I have aftermarket gauges to replace all the idiot lights in the cluster and I'm planning on putting a fuel gauge in place of the clock. So is it a simple bolt in and wire up?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm using an MSD with my 68 and the factory tach.

You need to use an MSD adapter (check post history on this subject to find the part number) in order to make the tach operate correctly...

Ken

·
Registered
614 Posts
How about a faulty tach? All of a sudden, my aftermarket Auto Meter tach (with MSD ignition) won't register the RPM's often, when it does it sits at about 7500rpm. Definitely not right! Also, the light only comes on very dim when the headlights/dash lights are off, and thats it. I thought it might be a bad ground at first, but that's fine. However, there is an RPM activated switch for the 'fasten seat belt' light (that's my shift light - about the only thing the PO did that was clever). How does the RPM activated switch tie into the tach? Is the switch activated by the tach, or off the MSD box?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts