Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it was possible to wire in a factory tach without having to have the wiring harness.Any ideas? Thanks

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I imagine it can be done Read the posting I put up for Scott's tac prob and you can get the color codes and a brief description of what goes on Cat Ya Later;)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
VERY easy to do. You just the wire from the positive terminal on the coil to the red wire on the factory tach, and ground the black tach wire.

Just be aware that the factory tachs are current sensing, if you're running an aftermarket coil, you need a inline ballast...

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Logan, you have described a very easy solution to the tach question here and I am going to give it a try when I get to that stage of the game but I have a question. I remember reading somewhere and I thought it was here, that you have to be careful of fires when installing a tach without the proper wiring harness. I don't understand why there would be a fire issue if it was installed as you describe here. Any further comments?

Dale

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
A 20 would do the trick...thanks again. Actually the smell of burning plastic tends to make me a little nervous.... :) Now burning rubber, that's a whole different game!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts