Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what looks like two wires that come out of the back of my tac in my 69. One is black and the other is red and are both combined into a male/female type connecter is this normal??? Next question is where should they connect to mine is unplugged??. I did find a similar connector but it had a wire plugged into that goes no where. I tried to connect the two (one from the Tac and the other that had the nowhere wire to it) when I did this the car would turn over but not start???

ANY Suggestions

I have not pulled the instrament panel out yet, it looks like a real pain in the butt and would no if I don't have to.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott I wonder if being unplugged is why it doesn't work.The tach has to be hooked up for engine to run Sounds like someone has run a jumper wire in place of the tach.Look for wires same color with same plug coming from center of car to dash cluster Good luck Ray:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I found the right wire Ray, they are the same color as the ones that run from under the hood. One is a large orange wire, one small red/w White stripe and the other is Yellow /w red stripe and have the same kind of connector. When I plug them into the red and black from the tac the car will only turn over but will not start or run?????

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The tach in 69's is inline with the ignition circuit. If the tach breaks, you're car won't start. That's why it was most likely bypassed. Mine was like that when i bought my car too.

The good news is, it's easy to fix. BUT, you do have to remove the instrument cluster. The hardest part is just disconnecting the speedo, after that, it's a breeze bud!

Once you have the instrument cluster out, remove the tach from the cluster, and open 'er up! You'll see where the two wires from outside the case connect to the hardware inside the case via a couple solder joints. 99% of the time, the solder joints are cracked from age and vibration. Just heat em up, apply a wee bit more solder to restore the connection and reassemble. Problem GONE!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
wired

OK Here we go The power comes from the ign switch and is red w/green stripe and goes to the tach from terminal "C" on ign switch.From the tach power goes to the coil thru the resistance wire colored Pink and also from the connecter where the pink wire is another wire colored red w/yellow stripe goes to the connecter to dash guage cluster terminal 10.Hope this helps Its out of my 69 Cougar wiring manual so should be accurate.Let me know.You could test the tach with an ohm meter I suppose to be sure current is going thru or may be breached as Logan has suggested.Later Catz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts