Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used TABCO quarter panels? I want to make sure they are complete behind the wheel to mate up with the trunk drop off panel. I am awaiting pis from Tabco, just hoping someone has real life experience with them.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Lew,

Sorry to say the Tabco's are FAR from complete/correct for 69 (and given the wheel well difference probably worse for 70). Check my ECI thread in the tech section (sort by number of thread views and you will find it) for gory detail on what is involved to make them fit and work well.

I used as little of the Tabco's as I could and sectioned/flanged the original quarters to receive the pieces I did use. The most ill-fitting area of the Tabco's is in the valence attach area. I actually cut that area out because there was no way to make the Tabco correct. On one side, my original quarter was good enough to reuse that part, I spot welded it into the cut out area of the Tabco. On the other side, I had to hand form a piece to go in the area because my original quarter in that area was toast. Also, getting the drops to properly mate with the Tabco bottoms was not trivial (second most ill-fitting part of the panels).

Another thing about the Tabco panels, the radius's are much softer and so anywhere you use those edges you are going to have to work the edges to make the radius's correct, it is not trivial. For this reason, only the edges at the quarter extensions are Tabco on my car and those I worked significantly to make them as they should be. The panel metal temper is less as well (softer metal).

There are no edges on the panels that are without the need for significant trimming, some that need modification as I have outlined. I used the removed piece of the original quarter edges as a guide to trim the Tabco's. I succeeded in making them as close as they could possibly be, but not without a lot of work.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I have unwittingly become an expert on these panels through my journey.

Hope I have not discouraged you, but these are the facts about these panels. They CAN be made to work and work well, my finished car proves that, but it requires an inordinate amount of work and a fair amount of skill to accomplish the task.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
524 Posts
I can send you pics later. These panels are a last resort. I have a car now with original panels and to compare the tabco's, well as mentioned above the lines are not as crisp. The passenger quarter wheel well opening on the ones I have are a mess. They are "bowed in" I'll say rather than out. I'm going to use them but I'm not impressed at all. I was warned but I bought them second hand so the price was fair. Let me know what pics you would like and you can see for yourself. They are not installed yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I can send you pics later. These panels are a last resort. I have a car now with original panels and to compare the tabco's, well as mentioned above the lines are not as crisp. The passenger quarter wheel well opening on the ones I have are a mess. They are "bowed in" I'll say rather than out. I'm going to use them but I'm not impressed at all. I was warned but I bought them second hand so the price was fair. Let me know what pics you would like and you can see for yourself. They are not installed yet.
I was only going to use below lower body line to trunk drop off.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I was only going to use below lower body line to trunk drop off.
That should not be as bad, except the valence attach area. If yours are good in that area, cut accordingly and you should be okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts