Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost completed the T5 swap in my 67 with a 289. I can not get a manual shift starter to bolt up, the automatic will bolt up, but will it work?. Did you know a drive shaft from a 68 falcon 4 door is a direct bolt in for the T5 swap? I do have some fitment issues around the shifter hole I need to deal with. Installed all new motor mounts to 68 lower mounts. Tomorrow morning I'll recheck all the mounts and fluids. Hopefully my z bar bushings that were backordered will come tomorrow, and I might be able to drive it this weekend. As always, thanks for your help. GReg

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I used my automatic starter on my t5 and its works fine.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
As I recall, the automatic starter is the one needed.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Good find on that Falcon driveshaft, but what about the front yoke? Did you change that to the newer style?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, installed the T5 yoke. I also installed the automatic starter, but wont be able to test out till Saturday. I am using the 10 1/2", 157 tooth flywheel for a 67 with a 3 or 4 speed, and still wondering why the manual starter's tip hits the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Should have said that I am using the 1991 bell and cable clutch.

I was able to use a 1969 Cougar FMX driveshaft on my T5 conversion with Ford 9 inch. My center section with 3.50 trac loc came from a Bronco. The Bronco 3rd member yoke is a 1330 (I think), had to buy a combination U-joint to get it bolted in.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Starter tech.jpg I have no connection with Powermaster other than I picked this up at their booth during the PRI show. Maybe this will help you find the correct starter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yes, installed the T5 yoke. I also installed the automatic starter, but wont be able to test out till Saturday. I am using the 10 1/2", 157 tooth flywheel for a 67 with a 3 or 4 speed, and still wondering why the manual starter's tip hits the flywheel.
Because the t5 uses automatic transmission fluid?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again guys for your input! I can check it all out tomorrow. Greg

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Because the t5 uses automatic transmission fluid?
My guess is that Ford standardized parts over the years.

Did you know that the C4 transmission yoke fits into the T-5 transmission? Just a tad shorter than the T-5 yoke, but the same spline count and diameter. I have one in my conversion. The original speedometer cable also works with the T-5 if it is from a C4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts