Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's the deal.
I'm painting my 70 to look like a trans am car faux-plica. Number plates, team cougar logos and all...so, I feel like I should have the "right" engine in it.
The 302 I have (mex block) was disassembled on saturday by myself and a friend and it looks great. No cracks, no crank abuse (it'll polish out). Standard bore, etc.
However, common sense got the better of me and I've decided to horse trade with the domed .060 over pistons for the 302. So, I'm going to get a credit for them with speed pro.
Now, I know I can make more power with a 302 using roush heads or edelbrock heads than a 302 boss setup. But, I can also get the boss/clevor pistons free at this point, get rods for free, and a set of 2v cleveland heads cheap.
So, has anyone built a clevor out there? Is it worth it just to have a faux boss 302 in a t/a faux plica car? Or should I just stick with the 302 head setup and put tunnel port decals on the breather?

The advantages of the boss engine are the glitz of a boss engine, I can use a hydraulic cam to make it a bit milder, and use stock parts like pushrods, etc. (I think)
The disadvantage is that I'll be doing a LOT of highway driving with the car. Looks like 4-5k+ miles this summer. And breakage could set me back while I wait for unobtanium parts to arrive. Not to mention that I'd really hate to be down on power compared to stock oriented 302s with aftermarket heads...
*sigh*
decisions decisions

clevor...stock...hmmm...potato/tomato

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have many times considered the clevor build. I always thought that one of those would be cool. If you do go that route, make sure the have the freeze plugs tapped and put in some screw in pluts. That would help to pull off the faux boss look.

It was tough to do, but I passed on a deal on a 302 clevor at the Columbus meet. Not sure of the internal condition of the engine, but could have walked away with it for around $500. I thought about it just for the intake and heads. I have a spare 72 block that just needs a hone and a spare crank laying around somewhere. I was then going to try to find some 300 str 6 or turbo 4 rods (same dimensions as boss 302), clevor/boss pistons, etc, but that would have just sucked more funds away from the other projects.

I also have thought of going the Rousch/Yates head route. I still may down the road. But the cost of the custom headers is keeping me away right now as well as the port re-work required to make them work on the street/strip and stay under 8000k rpm. I can just see the look on someones face when you pop the hood and those aluminum heads are looking out at you.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent most of the day behind the counter in the parts store looking up parts (and waiting on people...it was packed almost all day) for the clevor setup. I actually found a set of B302 SVO engine intake gaskets hanging on the wall...
I'm having a hard time finding the rest of the gaskets and stuff, but speed pro sells the boss 2 pistons in .030 over size. I just have to find out what the 2v head's chamber volume, the 5.155 rod, and the piston combo add up to so I can figure nominal compression for a streetable engine. I'm going to shoot for about 10:1.
I'll probably leave the heads stock and just port 'em.
I wonder if I can use a factory Boss intake on the setup?
I have a lot of homework to do.
Anyone who wants to contribute some tech knowledge, feel free.

I've been wanting to build a clevor since I saw one in a mustang at the Beech Mountain Hill climb two years ago (scca).

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cougarmanjr, I wish you had bought the 302 for $500 bucks! I'd sure like to take it off your hands.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, on the trip home, I had some regrets passing it up (the 302 clevor). But if I had bought it, I would not have had enough cash to get my rebuilt 3.50 trac loc center section for my cat, 302 roller block for my capri stroker buildup and other misc parts/pieces.

As to the combustion chambers size for the 2v heads, they should be around 76 cc's. Also, the issue with using a Bosss 302 intake would be the intake port mis-match. The Boss 302 has larger runners/ports than the 2v head and would cause some flow dynamics issues. Although you may be able to gasket match the 2v head to the Boss 302 intake, but I have not done this. You would be better off trying to find a clevor intake designed for the swap. They used to be made by a company called B&A performance and do show up on eBay on occasion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts