Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a world class T-5 that I plan on installing behind my 289. It's supposed to be rated for up to 300ft/lbs of torque. However, when I finish up with my engine build (however long that takes) The engine should be pushing about 337ft/lbs.

I don't plan on truly racing the car but some spirited driving and pulls from the light will definitely be in order. How well would the T-5 take the extra 40 ft/lbs? I'm hoping that if I'm nice enough most of the time, the tranny should be just fine and won't need to be built up but I'd like your thoughts on the matter.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I think the W/C T-5 can be worked to take 330ftlb to make it the same as a T-5Z. I can't find the link now, but start with Modern Driveline's web site.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A standard T5 will be fine, unless you plan on launching hard on sticky tires, power shifting, etc... Then you need to get something a little more robust.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I should be alright then. I don't plan on using sticky tires or anything since the car is only a street vehicle. I'll look into building it up into T-5Z spec. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts