Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In between the seats of my 72 Cougar there is a compartment thing for whatever, on the front of it is a toggle switch, is this a std switch, and if so . . . for what.

·
Registered
889 Posts
whats it look like?

I dont know of any factory switches that were put in there.If the wires are still attached trace them,you might be surprised.I found a small toggel switch and traced them,found out it must have had fog lites.mybe yours is a kill switch? Dan

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan, will do some detective work, hope its not a kill switch:)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
It's the Nitros activation switch, or the Lion warner switch, or passenger eject switch. Or .... :D

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Thanks Rick, you have really cleared the air for me:rolleyes:
D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Dayle, actually a kill switch (post picture of you and Stephen) is a good idea, as long as it (post picture) wired in safely and securely. So when you park it for the night, flick the switch so no one can (post picture) hot wire it and take the car, ( I heard about those hyena's). I have one in my Fairlane and putting one in the Cougar when its on the road in the next month or so:D

Rick

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I once put a switch on the dash of my 1st 73 cat to start the chargeing system....DOH.... long story/young & dumb..... but it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway you never know. It could of turned on something that is no longer on the car.....sterio amp/kill switch(that would be dumb 'cauase of the locatrion)/altenator turn on , or whatever:1poke: Let us know what you find...LOL

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay [looking for one] I see what you mean by a kill switch, [will scan one] it could be pretty useful here, we have a very high crime rate, [post one soon], will send you an e-mail and hopefully you can explain in more detail [will take digital camera out tomorrow] how a kill switch works, unless you want to post it here. :D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I had a car once with a mystery switch. It turned out that someone had replaced the shifter and the new one had no provision for reverse (backing) lights. I had to flip the switch so the backing lights worked.

Another car I had had a kill switch. Usually, the kill switch will be spliced into the primary wire to the coil. No power to the coil, no spark! In my case, I had a interior (dash) trimscrew that was a phony. Behind this 'screw'hole was a micro-switch. When the screw was in place, it activated the switch, closing the circut. When I parked the car, I would remove the 'screw' and put it in the ashtray for safekeeping. With the 'screw' removed, the ignition circut was open, thus killed. The engine would crank, but not fire since the primary wire to the coil was 'open'. Simple and stealthy, no? Actually, any stick, toothpick or whatever would work, but you had to know what that hole did!

Hope this helps you!

milo

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Milo, makes perfect sense, I think that will be our next 'project' when she comes back for the derust/respray.
Is the concept of an immobiliser switch the same?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I like to use the cigar lighter as a kill switch. push it in and it grounds out the coil.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea, but then how do you light your cigs? lol:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts