Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sound of these cars is important to me. I really like the 1970 Boss 302/429 exhaust system for sound--it looks cool too. I always wondered if 1970 Mustang/Cougar 351C 4V cars had that cool sounding exhaust with low restriction mufflers and 2.25 pipes like a 70 Boss. Well it does. My latest 70 351C Eliminator project has a complete, original exhaust system (some holes needed patching), but hearing it run yesterday proved it's the same system to me. Wow, what a cool sound: not too loud, nice gurgle at idle and sweet sophisticated bark at throttle blip. The only difference I see so far from a Boss 302 is the Cougar DOWA part numbers on the mufflers. I have a complete 1970 Mustang Boss 302 system in my basement and I'll compare the two systems soon for stuff like length/bends, but it looks identical so far. Now I wish I had 5 more complete sets. Can anyone add to this?

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was able to bolt up a reproduction Boss 302 Cougar H pipe to my 351C/AT Eliminator with a perfect fit on all ends. The aftermarket catalogs show they are different pieces, but I doubted it and proved myself correct. However, I cannot speak to the differences in NOS/OEM pieces.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts