Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: When my buddy and me took a 460 out of this 79 Mark IV I got the c-6 tranny I was told I would have to chang the bell housing.Guess what else I discovered a 8 inch rear end with disc brakes.Dose anybody want it ?I could bring it to columbus on the 6th.I would like to put a 3:25 to 3:75 in mine,its got a 4:11 in it nowI would like to go from town to town instead of light to light.The only draw back is the rear end with the discs it has 15 inch wheels.if some one out there wants thisI:ll trade even drum to drum for disc to disc or a fair price.This baby comes wheels and all.Hot wrenches are a beautiful thing.Im not sure of the mesurments though.But if any you guys or (gals) are intrested Ill get them for you . Dan;)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
C-6 and rear end

Dan,

First off, all C-6 transmissions are engine family specific. The bellhousing and trans case are all one piece. You cannot 'switch bellhousings' on C-6s! A small block C-6 is a small block only trans, a 'tall block' C-6 fits 351M/400/429/460, and an FE C-6 will fit only FEs (352/360/390/406/427/428).

Also, if that Mark IV is the car that the '8" ' rear came out of, it is not an 8"! Those big land yachts all came with 9" rears. Also, they will have a 5 on 5" bolt pattern wheels. Simple way to tell an 8" from a 9". If you can get a deepwall socket on the bottom-most carrier bolt, you have an 8". If you have to use a short socket or even have to resort to a box end wrench on those bolts, you're looking at a 9" rear. Also, another word of caution. Ford used a 9-3/8" rear on some of those boats, and nothing will interchange with a 9" rear.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A 79 mark IV with a 460 and a C6, ok check that disk rear end again and you will find that it is a 9" not a 8". That rear also has a 5" bolt pattern on the wheels if I remember right and it will be too wide for a Cougar. Around 63-65" disk to disk.mm

Sorry CJ I must have been posting at the same time as you. :eek2:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info

it sounds like the tranny will work.I wont even waste my time on the rear end.At least I got the head lights. Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts