Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what does it take to swap a C4/C6 into a 69 cougar with a 302 and FMX.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
From FMX to C-4, not much. From FMX to C-6, you'll need a new trans crossmember and shorter drveshaft due to the C-6 longer length.

Why do you think you need to swap from your FMX in the first place. They're stronger than a C-4 to start with.

This car has a FMX behind a 545-inch 460-stroker by using a tallblock 351M/FMX bellhousing. This pic is with a 484 or 466. It was originally an 351C-2V / FMX car and he's kinda stubborn since 'everyone who knows anything' says an FMX is junk... Guess what. The trans is holding up just fine!!!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts

This car has a FMX behind a 545-inch 460-stroker by using a tallblock 351M/FMX bellhousing. This pic is with a 484 or 466. It was originally an 351C-2V / FMX car and he's kinda stubborn since 'everyone who knows anything' says an FMX is junk... Guess what. The trans is holding up just fine!!!
That pic seems familiar, have you posted it before by chance???? :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
The Fmx i had originally in my 70 took the beating of a lifetime and still shifted smoothly.I went with a rebuilt 69 fmx after cause of a trade i did with some fellow cougar friend of mine.I couldn`t get the tranny to shift in all 3 gears in drive so i had to start from low 1 to 2 then to D. I tried everything that the experts said to do, after so many things i gave up and had a spare 70 fmx rebuilt. When i went to go pick it up from the overhaul i gave them the 69 as a gift. The 70 fmx now has a shift kit and a rebuilt stall speed and it shifts nice and has a little snap to it when it shifts to 2nd.

the fmx is heavy yes i agree but if theres nothing wrong with it keep it and just do something with the motor.

thanks
pat

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Yeah Art, I guess I have ;^)~ ... and I'll keep posting it as a visual example of how much abuse an FMX can take until someone else shows me a better one, LOL!

Nothing fancy done to that trans. Only rebuilt once many years ago. Just a simple shift kit (not sure of whose). No other 'beefing' or race parts needed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The FMX trans has that cast iron case making it heavier than a c4, the aftermarket has little support in high performance application. I gathered this info in about 5mins of research, I've owned more than a couple FMX cars and never had a trans problem.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ray. there is no need for a C6, if there is a need to rebuild the FMX then I would go for the lighter C4 which can be built to withstand large HP cheaper because of available of parts.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The Fmx i had originally in my 70 took the beating of a lifetime and still shifted smoothly.I went with a rebuilt 69 fmx after cause of a trade i did with some fellow cougar friend of mine.I couldn`t get the tranny to shift in all 3 gears in drive so i had to start from low 1 to 2 then to D. I tried everything that the experts said to do, after so many things i gave up and had a spare 70 fmx rebuilt. When i went to go pick it up from the overhaul i gave them the 69 as a gift. The 70 fmx now has a shift kit and a rebuilt stall speed and it shifts nice and has a little snap to it when it shifts to 2nd.

the fmx is heavy yes i agree but if theres nothing wrong with it keep it and just do something with the motor.

thanks
pat
I had a FMX that came in my 72 Mach I. When I souped up the motor and added gears I also put in a shift kit and installed a Fairbanks 2500 stall converter. I wasn't happy with the stall and the looooooong dragged out shifts at full throttle.

I snagged a C6 from a wrecked 71 Cougar CJ, was an outstanding performance transmission.

For those that like the FMX, I have no problem with your experiences, it just didn't work well for me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
All i can say is mine has nearly 243000 miles on it an no rebuild, never even had the trany out of the car yet. Shifts fine and often abused it when i was in my teens and early twentys and i'm over 50 now. Unless your FMX was blown to pieces the C4 may be the best swap otherwise i would rebuild it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts