Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have EFI in my 68 and am installing it in my 67. I used the factory system from a fox body Mustang and was very happy with the results on the '68. The '67 Panther is a bit more complex as I'm combining the "best" Ford had to offer as far as components from numerous vehicles.

Going EEC-IV based SEFI is a bit more complicated than the aftermarket systems, but a ton cheaper if you can find a donor.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My neighbor has a 34 "Ford" with a 355 chevy Vortec in it and is running the Holley Commander 950 TBI setup. He seems happy with it, although they are constantly tuning on it. That's a bit big for a 302 though. I'd look at some of the 650 - 670 CFm systems.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If you grab everything from a donor car - there is a member on here you could touch base with to convert the harness to something similar to what Justin posted. Shoot kooade a pm if you want some input on what he can do for you......a good resource at least

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply guys I got too caught up in the shiny new magazine to think that I could use a donor car. I would like to keep the original motor as the block is original to the car. I will need to do some research and figure out what donor cars are compatible and what parts would need to swapped, I would imagine 4.6 engines are no go.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have several 5.0 H.O. intakes, MAFs, throttle bodies, etc. I would be willing to let a set go pretty cheap, but shipping may be a deal killer if you can find something closer.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here is what mine currently looks like... If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have bought a stand alone SEFI harness instead of stripping out a donor and making my own.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know some will hate this but you can also put a chevy TBI on it. You need an adapter plate, TBI, harness, computer, O2 sensor, in tank or inline fuel pump and you will need to run a fuel return line to your gas tank. If you want the computer to control the timing then you will need a modified HEI distributer. My friend did it to my 68 302 cougar and runs fine except you can't close the hood with the stock air cleaner. He sells these kits mostly for people that want EFI on old 350 engines but just wanted to see if he could make it work on a 302.

I am not going to keep my cougar like that. As soon as i have time i am putting in a Explorer 5.0 engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts