Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get suspension bad for my 67, I dont want stock I was thinking of pst super front end kit
or anything else? Hotchkis doesn't make any or what about a rear suspension? Any help would be greatly appreciated It is going to be for a weekend rodder hopefully kinda quick. Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
I went with a pst polygraphite super front end kit including kyb shocks, car handles great, is a little rough over sharp bumps and potholes, with the 45 series tires.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I actually went with "stock" rubber, but replaced the spring perches, ball joints, but stiffer, shorter springs in, and KYB's up front...and I couldn't be happier...it handles like a dream (though I need to tighten down the adjusting screw on the steering box a tad) - and I still feel the road...I don't think I'd want it any stiffer than it is (I had heard scary stories about "death by jarring" from others who put urethane in...)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The front, I would stay with Moog and no poly except on the sway bar. Frt spring stay near stock spec's. I suggest trying 67 GT rear springs. This will give you a good ride. KYB (white) shocks and bigger sway bar will do the job for "upgrading" from factory.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Don't look at my gallery for advice about suspension as I am way out of control.
Where in HB do you live? I am working on mine at a friend's house just off of Main and 6th (downtown.)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have not done that yet, I am still looking for a 9", then I will redo the rear suspension. I did get a rear sway bar just haven't put it on yet. I also just got the car back after having subframe connectors installed, and they are awesome. The stearing feels a lot more quick. I need to find some back roads to really test it out.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I just picked up a 9" out here for $150. I may be able to get more they are from Cougars to begin with. I just don't think shipping would be easy, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
For my rear suspension, I put new heavy-duty leafs on the back - (and used rubber in the rear as well - *blush* ON the rear, I mean) - they were a tad shorter than stock (as I was trying to lower the whole car).

I had to add air shocks though, 'cause with my fat tires, I tend to catch JUST THE EDGE of my firehawks on the outside edge of the tires when I bounce 'er. I guess I'll have to ask how folks make that stop at some later point. Alas, probably will have to go with slightly thinner tires...or roll the wheelwells a tad - though I wanna use my waiting NOS wheelwell trim!!! (which was bought from John's Classic Cougar back in the day when they could still be had for $40 each - sheesh, wish I woulda bought a FEW sets!).

I had a new locker put in the rear too, and am happy with that (except for the clanking noise - that I was told is 'normal' - when I turn right after running the car for a while). The sad part of that is though, I had the work done when I was going through a mostly-drunk stage in my life, and lost the paperwork, so I don't know what KIND of locker is in there, NOR what the ratio is, even. I guess I'll have to be a little more cognizant next time...*blush*

·
Registered
339 Posts
i should get some pics this weekend, theya re made by total control products. They had to be clearanced on the front driver side to clear the fuel line.

Oh, and xr7gt, I work for a freight company.

·
Registered
965 Posts
On Jason's(DroptopCougr) '69 conv, we went with the PST performance polygraphite super front end kit, new 1" sway bar, 620 coils w/1" drop, new spring perches, KYB gas-a-just shocks, and tightened up the steering box.
On the back, we bought OEM springs from MU, 3/4 sway bar, and KYB gas-a-ajust shocks. We later removed the sway bar because it was not letting the springs work properly. I have since bought new brackets and will try the sway bar on my m code conv.
We later bought a set of springs I am going to install on the m code from ESPO along with new shackles. They were much more reasonable in price than the ones from MU.
We run 225/70/14's all the way around with styled steel wheels and the car drives GREAT!!!,corners GREAT!!! and is a vast improvement over stock. It is firm but not stiff and even on my old back feels GREAT!!!. Good luck!

Jim

·
11,000 Posts
Hey Calypso,
Have you talked to Lin Thurston? He is usually parting out several 69-70's and normally has plenty of 9" rears. Lin's number is 817-444-0457.

·
Registered
339 Posts
No I haven't Royce, is he the guy that works for Mr. C's hardware in hurst. thanks for the info.

67 cougar 302, sorry I hijacked your thread

·
Registered
568 Posts
xr7gt, you are WAY out of control. I wish I could afford to be that out of control, I love what you've done with it. I appreciate your postings, they give me something to shoot for. In my dreams.

Roy

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I told you

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Read a couple of negative comments on polyurethane, seeing as I have just had all the bushings replaced with the above I need to know the downside, would'nt have been able to do it any other way, too expensive to import kits or the proper bushings, but would like to know what to watch out for.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Poly bushings aren't that bad, compared to vette with the z51 handling package. Mine is a daily driver with poly all around, it isn;t really that bad if you want a car that handles great.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts