Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. so I just couln't part with my 69' XR-7, even though it's a piece. So, here I go, and I guess I need to start somewhere. It run's fine, leaks a little and blows a little smoke, but the system that needs the most work right now is the suspension, it's totally shot, to the point of being unsafe. I intend to build the car to cruise and need the total package, including springs F&R, and shocks.
Is there a kit somewhere, or do I need to piece it together? And if so, in your opinion, who makes the best componets for the Cougar?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Well, the front suspension is the same as Mustang, they usually have good deals on front kits. Rear springs are different than Mustang, so get yours re-arched and add a leaf (which will raise it about 1 1/2 in.) I work in a spring shop. It's usually cheaper getting yours done than buying new ones unless there broken. Use ploy bushings except on the strut rods, you'll break something. Poly shock mounts, shackles, sway bar and endlinks, even spring isolaters are good. New poly bushings have grease zercs in to lube which is cool. There's the suspension. Brakes are same as Mustang as well, so pretty much can use a Mustang supplier. Good luck.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Eaton springs apparently have the best springs for Cougars. Shocks - most popular are KYB but I like Munroes for cruising and Koni for sports (have munroe GTs on 2 cars and konis on 428)

There is debate over best bushes but conventional wisdom is to stick with rubber for other than sway bar uprights where poly is OK. Never use poly for strut bushes as it will crack the strut arm.

Moog products are recommended by many people as well.

If you are upgrading sway bars don't go over 1" on front

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts