Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to rebuild the suspension on my 69 convertable (351w2bbl auto). The cat will be used for a summer driver & will be kept basically stock except for dual exhaust, 4bbl, and an ignition upgrade. I plan on using 15" rims w radials. I'm looking to improve stock handling, but I still would like to maintain a good ride quality. I don't necessarily want a crown vic "cushiness" and I do want it to corner flatter then it does, but I don't want a harsh ride either. Should I consider lowering upper control arms(shelby mod) with stock coils and 4 leaf rear, or should I look at progressive rate coils w 5 leaf rear? Slight lowering is OK, but I am not looking to lower it big time.
I assume a sway bar kit is a good idea. Currently there is only a small front one. How about an export brace and/or a monte carlo bar? Will these items fit from same year mustangs?
:1zhelp: I have read alot of conflicting info and would really appreciate some "been there" feedback.
Thanks for any info!!! Bob

·
Registered
885 Posts
Bob,

You might want to check out the "Front End & Brake Question" thread from last week. You'll find some ideas there, including some of what I did. If you use heavy sway bars (mine are 1" front, and 3/4" rear), keep in mind you'll get some spring effect from the bars which adds to the stiffness. In retrospect, I could've gotten by with a lower spring rate with the sway bar kit. The progressive springs are a good idea. Mustangs Plus has a set for the early (pre 1967) Mustangs. I don't know if they have anything for 1967-1970 models, but someone said Eibach does. Look around for complete (or semi-complete) front end kits. There actually is a variety available from one vendor or another.

Steve C.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Go with the sway bars that pat has suggested and good shocks like konis (well worth the money, far better ride than KYBs or gas Munroes and they are adjustable). Do not go with 5 leaf rear unless you want a bone shattering ride (made that mistake on my 69). Have the springs reset and a 1" drop is OK. Export brace, monte carlo and subframe connectors will all help the handling

This is what it looks like with drop

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1051&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

1 - 4 of 4 Posts