Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at this ,so here goes. After getting my cougar on the road
the front end seems to ride too high. At first I thought It was because the engine had been out of it for about 9 years. I tried
trimming the coil springs,that helped but both sides did'nt come out at the same height,(even though I took the same amount off).
Then I ordered new springs,thinking that maybe mine were wrong
but still too high. Any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
885 Posts
Tim,

I'll bet your rear leaf springs are sacked, giving the appearance of the front end riding too high.

Steve C.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suspension help?

I guess i should have said that all suspension parts are new,new rear springs,new shackles,new bushings,and new insulator pads.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ok, that helps. Provided everything went back together properly, this is puzzling unless you have the wrong spring for your application. Where did you get your coils? Check the spring rate, free length, etc.. This can vary based on your engine, and options (A/C and so forth). Mustangs Plus has a 620 coil spring which offers a 1" drop. As an alternative, you could also have your current springs professionally shortened. They'd be even that way.

Steve C.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the new springs from MU,and orderded springs listed for my car,but without air ,even though mine has air, thinking that
it might drop it a little bit. I checked the length against the original ones and they were about 1/2 in shorter. I beleive both to 620 's. I thought about getting the ones with 1" drop, but was afraid that then it might be too low. I don't have any problems taking them out and shortening them,but in order for both sides to be equal I'll have more cut off one side than the other, ( I don't know if that might cause any handling problems), so I'm kinda stumped. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tim

·
Registered
885 Posts
Tim,

It seems to me if you have to shorten one of the springs more than the other for the car to sit level, you have a serious problem. Has this car been in any accidents?

Steve C.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly, but it doesn't appear to be anything serious. Everything seems to be straight,body panels went back on pretty
well. I've thought of air shocks for the rear,so when passengers are in the back the front doesn't ride any higher.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When I rebuilt my suspension I ended up doing the leafs twice and the front coils 3 times to get the correct height. The first time the coils were to high. The vendor then sent a new set which was too low. I ended up cutting down the ones that were too high to get the correct height. I have a 69. Check with other 67 owners to see their height from the ground to the top of the wheel well front and back. Then you can determine if the front is too high, the rear too low, or both.

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everybody for the suggestions,I 'll get some comparisons
and get to work in the shop and see what happens. I think this is a great site for info and good ideas. thanks again.

tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts