Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 67 cat that I have been hot-rod'n out. My brother-n-law helped me pull and replace the ol'289 with a 351 windsor.

Can anyone recommend a good place for me to start looking for superchargers for a 351 windsor.

check out my cat here:

http://www.wizfx.net/modules/gallery/album08

(These pics are a year old)

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Blown 351

Are you looking for a through the hood or under the hood blower. I'd hate to think you're going to butcher up a cougar hood.:cry: I'm unaware of a centrifugal blower like Paxton who make something for a 351W. You could check out Holley, Weiand, or The Blower Shop but you'll probably have to call them directly and ask....I haven't seen anything advertised for your application. These last three are Roots blowers. More than likely through the hood.

Too bad you didn't still have your 289 in the car; Paxton makes a nice after market bolt on centrifugal for the 64-68 Ford 260-302 Paxton Superchargers This is an under-the-hood blower.

Make sure you're at least a steel crank (my opinion).

Regards,
Brian

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Another Idea

Oh yeah. Just remembered this. Vortech offers a pressurized box on top of Holley 4150 carbs if you're just looking for that small boost (Vortech Superchargers). Unfortunatley you have to cringe at the Ch**y word; just gloss over it.

This is a sort of blower....just another idea. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

With this car I am going for a very, "not stock look” something that will turn heads but not be too in your face. (I don't want a huge blower sticking out the hood) I have cut the hood though, that and custom headers was the only way we could squeeze the 351 in there. As things are right now I have a very tasteful oval air clear that peaks through an oval hole cut directly between the two lines going down the center of the hood. I wanted to maintain the aesthetic of the original design, just accent it with a little more muscle. My description doesn’t really do it justice, I’ll post a picture of it next week, right now it’s at the shop getting electrical work and new gear in the rear…..

-J

·
Registered
600 Posts
Logan, i would also like to see it on a Clevor...I always thought the 351W&C were too big for the novi setup?
i have been wrong tho...lol

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'll have a slight hood clearance issue due to the track boss manifold, but that will be solved by the addition of an eliminator scoop, other than that, straight bolt on and adjust...

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Logan, I thought you didn't want to spend any more money on that car??? lol
BTW I knew you would....

Bruce

·
Registered
238 Posts
depending on how much you wanna spend. if it were me id get a 6-71 Weiand blower and manifold (as you guys called the "underhood blower" that is a Centrifical super charger) with a pair of Predator 930CFM carbs on top of it...or get a single carb plate and run a single Predator 930CFM.....you could run about 9-10psi boost and make great power. and yes...turn alot of heads

·
Registered
238 Posts
btw.....with that setup, you could spend about oh id say.....3500 total because you'll also have to convert to serpentine..but dude, its well worth it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts