Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contacted by the owner of a 1989 or 1990 (I can't find his original e-mail) Cougar XR-7 who is trying to determine the value of his car, as he is preparing to sell it.

It's red over black and appears to be in completely stock condition and very nice condition at that.

So, assumming it's a really nice unmolested example of the supercharged breed (basically a nice #2 or strong #3), what value would you place on it?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
on a good day 2g and thats pushing it . some people try to get more , but theres no real value to those cars unfortuantly. and they are worse of a niche car than ours

·
Registered
480 Posts
They haven't reached their prime ... yet.
Who knows when.
I own two of them.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
The same gen T-bird SC's were a blast to drive, with a stick......never did get ahold of a SC Coug. Would agree with the 2k, tho, that seems to be what they list for.

·
Registered
766 Posts
As said above, there isn't any market for them.

Just considered, "another old car".

·
Registered
790 Posts
They're great if you like troubleshooting vacum and ignition/electrical issues! I got a slight headache reading the title of this post unfortunately.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah these aren't hard to come by. Not overly crazy about the body style - but they are OK. They don't hook up worth a damn either! I think if you wanted to race it you would have to do some serious suspension mod's or throw a few dead bodies in the trunk! My roomie in school had one....it was worse than my mustang by far. I saw a very clean one for sale this summer. Guy was asking for 5K! He never sold it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
[quote=JoeXR7F93C;326779]They're great if you like troubleshooting vacum and ignition/electrical issues! I got a slight headache reading the title of this post unfortunately.[/quote]

I had a 1990 XR7 supercharged cat. Gave it to the ex ten years ago in the divource because it was getting to the point of experiencing those issues. I didn't want the headache either. It was useless in the snow. My 1996 4.6L with traction control is a lot better. I figure the supercharged Cougars will be collectable some day, but not yet. You can watch this one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tn=2&item=220325887818&category=6339&viewitem=

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I had a 91 SC and it was one of the best cars I have owned. Fun N fast. But I sold it with 70k miles on it so I did not get the chance to see how these cars aged. I have actually been watching them lately. Looks great to pick up a 2nd driver for cheap $$$$

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
I had a 1990 XR7 supercharged cat. Gave it to the ex ten years ago in the divource because it was getting to the point of experiencing those issues. I didn't want the headache either. It was useless in the snow. My 1996 4.6L with traction control is a lot better. I figure the supercharged Cougars will be collectable some day, but not yet. You can watch this one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tn=2&item=220325887818&category=6339&viewitem=

When I bought my very first car (a '68 Cougar Standard) the guy I bought it from a guy who needed to ditch the old cat because he had bought one of those-- a brand new '89 Supercharged Cougar, all black, with dark tinted windows. Very sinister looking.

We were both quite happy with our new Cougars!

·
Registered
790 Posts
It just seems that every one of those I roll into the shop gives me a headache. I can do remote starts by the book on one, only to trouble shoot it for hours to find it has a bad ignition switch. We do a checklist to make sure the heater controls work among other things, and most of them are stuck in the defrost mode (much like the generation of Moostangs that appeared after the Fox). The vacum lines are made of plastic that gets brittle with age. I'd rather deal with our Cougar issues and vacum lines by lifting headlight doors than pull the whole dash apart and the under-hood to replace all the stuff. Oh, and the factory amps are little time bombs for majic smoke. What do you mean it will cost $200 to put a radio in my car??? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts