Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
does anyone know where i can possibly get a suicide door kit ?Like ones used on hotrods .Igot a very cool idea to turn my hardtop into having suicide doors.Plus anyone know of someone that has done any kinda customizing like this?
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator MADCATT (going to be a pro touring car)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pick up a copy of Rod and Custom or one of the custom car magazines, you'll probably find some ads for kits like that. First you might want to use a search engine like google.com and search for a term like "suicide door kit". Sounds like a pretty wild idea for a cougar, when you do it be sure to post some pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NIT.
i wanna go to a somewhat extreme but not overkill it like, have a hood tilt forward like the jaguars and shave the door handles and put flush mounted ones and relocate the trunk lock(thanks for the idea john aka WVCAT2002) and french in a power antenna and do a full custom leather interior and have a air bag suspension.do a custom blue pearl paint job.And put euro headlights on it and instead of the headlight doors going vertical make the bars go horizintal and paint the mouldings to match the color of the car and oh cut the ribs off of the tailights and put 1 solid bar across where the 2 parts of the tailights meet. AND hey why am i giving everyone out my ideas lol....
thanks
pat
1970 eliminator MADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car)

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Pat

You might have a problem with the tilt hood if you tilt from the base of the centre grille. I dont think it is wide enough to support the weight in the hoodd without signtificant strengtheneing. You can do it on a 69 using Fiat 124 sport hinges

Headlights are easy to do as is tube grille. Hella have replacement headlights or if you want single rectangular headlight you can use European version of 1982 W123 Benz or similar

For taillights yo might want to look at relocating the trunk filler and tank between the rear wheel arches and run a single piece of smoked acrylic right across the rear. If you replace the trunk springs with a single gas strut you can have self opening trunk

I just shaved the antenna from the 69 convertible and was going to shave the handles as well but ran out of time. I'm using a high gain antenna that glues to the glass above rear view mirror

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Originally posted by droptopcat70 NIT..And put euro headlights on it
you mean teh Xenon lights??? cheap and readily availabel source for them.. go on Ebay and look up a kit for the 80s BMWs. they had sealed beam headlights and there are kits on there to retrofit those to the new style H4 bulbs and those are available in Xenon and a bunch of other stuff. how do i know?? because i have Xenon lights on my car. well, the low beams. i kinda like the contrasting yellowish color of the high beams compared to the bluish white of the lows. they swapped in almost without any difficulty. they had 4 small tabs on the back of the light housing that i had to cut off but after that they fell into place like they were meant to be there. and here... as a matter of fact i got a link for a current auction ..........

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1867024880

i bought from these people and it went smoothly.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
steve

STEVE
you know you gave me a good idea.The 90s version bmw`s had sealed beam headlights.That be a good addition to the styling for that EURO look.A lightbulb has now lit even brighter lol... Looks like these ideas may be very handy when you think about it..As for the tilt of the hood Leon i was thinking perhaps a buick century like a late 80s early 90s model where you pop the front of the hood lift it up n then completly tilt it so it is in a forward tilt motion.
thanks
pat
1970 eliminator MADCATT(customized pro touring car,Perhaps suicide doors)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another question

HI all
question. Besides me doing these doors.Does anyone know where i may be able to get a set of billett alum.Dash clusters made? I wanna do em like the originals and have the white face gagues but if anyone knows if they can be done or knows someone that can to let me know
thanks
pat
1970 eliminator MADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Have a look in classifieds in the back of custom rodder - companies like Haneline sell panels and gauge kits and should be able to recommend someone. Be ready for big buck quote

·
Registered
889 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
custom cougar

I was thinking,
about putting in a type of trunk lock setup like the cadillacs have.Where you pt it to a certain point and it remotes down into the locking position.Plus shaving the trunk lock as well and having a remote trunk lock opener as well.Should be wild when i get it done.I`tll be like no other cougar ever seen or created.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
cheap easy source for that is the Junkyard... 80s and early 90s Camaros had that... well some did. wear baggy pants to the junk.. hint hint

·
Registered
889 Posts
80-90s camaro and bird

I got one from the bone yard too I put it in the boys firebird.If you are any good welding its not a big job.Those camaro and bird latches are away from the en and have 2 flat mounting slots that will go around the filler tube.I was thinking about gas rods to hold the trunk open and not have a prop rod. I allways take a BIG TOOL BOX to the yard.after the 1st good snow Ill go again after the yard is well suppied.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hehehe another idea

LOL...
speaking of gas doors.How about a electric opening gas door lid? I dont know where these idea are comming from but i`m starting to like em lol....
thanks(still laughing)
pat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts